All my prints fails

Anything goes! Cheap or expensive, FDM or SLA, DIY or Commercial.
ComicBit

All my prints fails

Post by ComicBit » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:40 am

Hello everyone, i'm having a couple of strange problems, i have no idea of how to solve them, my prints are failing almost everytime for a terrible layer adhesion (i have a PEI bed). After that i can see that the layer filling is not consistent. Then i find 2 angles bent on my last test. Here are photos hoping that anyone can help me with that.

A couple of info:
Printer: He3d (Tevo Tarantula)
Extruder: E3D v6 clone
Material: PLA 209° - 50° Bed (60° on first)

dan3008

Re: All my prints fails

Post by dan3008 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:31 am

the last image looks like its warped up off the bed (PLA too hot, ABS too cold)
try lowering the temp of your heatbed a bit... PLA can be printed with the heat bed turned off to be honest.

As for the rest, thats a bit harder to diagnose without knowing your setup,
However, my guesses are:

1 - When I had an issue with only parts of layers going down (like your first image), It was because my filament was snagging, so you might want to check that.
2 - looks like you have some layer adhesion issues (the dotted lines across some of your prints), it might be worth you doing a temperature calibration, and maybe increasing your extrusion multiplyer slightly (I'm almost always at 110%)
3 - finally, looks like you had a layer misplace (image 2 and 4). Check your belt tension for your x and y axis

Hope that helps

Moorviper

Post by Moorviper » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:55 pm

50°C is to cold for PLA

I use 100 on abs and 60 on PLA and have no issues
on the nozzle i do 215°C on first layer and 200°C on the other layers

ComicBit

Post by ComicBit » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:27 pm

dan3008 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:31 am
the last image looks like its warped up off the bed (PLA too hot, ABS too cold)
try lowering the temp of your heatbed a bit... PLA can be printed with the heat bed turned off to be honest.

As for the rest, thats a bit harder to diagnose without knowing your setup,
However, my guesses are:

1 - When I had an issue with only parts of layers going down (like your first image), It was because my filament was snagging, so you might want to check that.
2 - looks like you have some layer adhesion issues (the dotted lines across some of your prints), it might be worth you doing a temperature calibration, and maybe increasing your extrusion multiplyer slightly (I'm almost always at 110%)
3 - finally, looks like you had a layer misplace (image 2 and 4). Check your belt tension for your x and y axis

Hope that helps
Hello and thanks for taking time replying to my problem.
1 - What you mean for snagging?
2 - What kind of calibration? PID or something like a Temperature Tower?
3 - I think this problem is correlate dto the layer adhesion, infact the print was placed in the right position, just at a certain point it stopped to place correctly and overral the filling wasn't complete (this 2 pieces are 100% full)

Can i ask something? Is needed to print something like the printer pieces on 100% infill? Isn't it an overkill? What are suggested setting for something like a prusa i3 mk2 plastic parts?

dan3008

Post by dan3008 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:37 pm

Moorviper wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:55 pm
50°C is to cold for PLA

I use 100 on abs and 60 on PLA and have no issues
on the nozzle i do 215°C on first layer and 200°C on the other layers
interestingly, I never have my bed on for PLA, and dont have any problems... But that might be my buildtack helping it stick...

Comicbot:

1-by snagging, I mean catching and pulling between the spool and the extruder, this can cause it to not be extruded properly... Can also be a problem if your spool isnt spinning freely
2 - Sorry, yes, I meant something like a temperature tower... and also an extrusion multiplayer calibration (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1796601) could be useful :)
3 - I'll have to have a think on that one

As for infil. I never print at 100%, My printed I3 parts are printed at 75% and are more than strong enough, but dont quote me, every printer is different and so your millage may vary

PartTimeRonin

Post by PartTimeRonin » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:42 am

Look like underextrusion+jam to me.
Maybe try to tight the extruder idle arm tension more.

ComicBit

Post by ComicBit » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:57 am

PartTimeRonin wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:42 am
What is the Extruder Idler here on your opinion?

Peter Bermingham

Post by Peter Bermingham » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:20 pm

Dan3008 wrote
Can i ask something? Is needed to print something like the printer pieces on 100% infill? Isn't it an overkill? What are suggested setting for something like a prusa i3 mk2 plastic parts?

I asked Tom the same question on twitter as I am in the process of making "Dolly" and the answer he gave was "1.5mm Shell 20% Infill will do the trick" and it worked great! Who would of guessed Tom might know what he is talking about! :D

Peter Bermingham

Post by Peter Bermingham » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:36 pm

I had the same problem with my wanhao duplicator i3 plus, I replaced the nozzle, calibrated extruder, did a p.i.d. Tune and after nearly going insane replaced the nozzle again and presto.
I was right the first time it was a clogged nozzle but the first replacement nozzle was rubbish and the next one was good! Even though I bought all 10 nozzles at once through the same supplier.
And they are the same part number and they all look the same I found out that at least one is rubbish.
Morale to the story, my first thought was right and if I tried a second nozzle straight away I would've save myself about three days of mucking around. Go with you gut!

PartTimeRonin

Post by PartTimeRonin » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:52 am

ComicBit wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:57 am
PartTimeRonin wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:42 am
What is the Extruder Idler here on your opinion?
Hhmm, look like it's not adjustable.(Or maybe it's adjustable but you didn't put some part in there, is there any bolts and washers left from the assembly?)
Btw I would change that clear tube on the left hand side to PTFE tube, I got problem from that clear tube before(kink on the inside wall).