DIY 3d Printer, options?

Anything goes! Cheap or expensive, FDM or SLA, DIY or Commercial.
dan3008

DIY 3d Printer, options?

Post by dan3008 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:04 am

Hi guys,
about a year ago, I built a prusa i3 clone (my first printer :D And I built it myself from parts and scrap from the makerspace extras bin) Anyway, this printer has been a little work horse for me (is it little with a 210mm^3 build volume?). And I intend to keep using it, but now I've got that building bug again. So, Its time to build my second printer, and this is where I'm stuck

I cant decide what I want to build.
Whatever I go for has to have dual extrusion, preferably a single hotend, simply to cut down on parts
I'd also like to make a portable printer, but that will probably be my next project :/

Thanks
Dan

voyager

Re: DIY 3d Printer, options?

Post by voyager » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:45 am

Take a look at the hypercube or hypercube evo, you can build a electronics compartment in the bottom if you extent the frame, making is nice and portable. People reporting good results with this type of printer.

dan3008

Post by dan3008 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:34 pm

Thanks voyager, I had just seen the hyper cube, and the smartrep core... looks like a fun and intresting build, and as you say, easy to flat pack for transport :)

Ever onwards.

I'm sure i'll end up posting more questions later, but for now, to the workshop :D

dan3008

Post by dan3008 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:57 pm

Ok, now for my first daft question. Heated or non heated build plate? I actually only want a relatively small build plate (I'm thinking 100mm^2). This seems to be a tricky heated bed to find. I didn't really want to mess about with having a custom bed fabricated :/

So, the way I see it, I've got 3 options:
1 - make my own PCB heater print bed (not keen on this idea)
2 - use a silicone heat pad (like this stuck to the back of a aluminium plate
3 - go for an unheated bed, and just be happy with PLA prints on my smaller portable printer.

I'm leaning towards option 3, since I dont print in ABS much, but want your guys opinion

If I dont use a heated bed, what material do you recommend for an unheated bed?

acruxksa

Post by acruxksa » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:46 am

100mm x 100mm is pretty small. Not judging, but if it was me, I'd go for the closest standard heatbed I could find to that size. Probably going to be a little bit larger than 100x100, but a heated bed can come in handy and by adjusting your build specs a little, you could ad a heatbed with to much trouble.

dan3008

Post by dan3008 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:17 am

acruxksa wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:46 am
100mm x 100mm is pretty small. Not judging, but if it was me, I'd go for the closest standard heatbed I could find to that size. Probably going to be a little bit larger than 100x100, but a heated bed can come in handy and by adjusting your build specs a little, you could ad a heatbed with to much trouble.
100x100 is very small, in fact, its the same size as hobby king's fabrikator mini.

My issue is, since its going to be a portable printer, I dont want it too big, but then again, as you say, a heated bed can be handy...
I'll have to see what the smallest heated bed I can find is, and work from there.
I'm open to adapting, at least I havent got my frame yet lol

dan3008

Post by dan3008 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:39 pm

ok, minor upgrade, I've found a 120x120mm heat bed that I can use :) So onto the next step :)

dan3008

Post by dan3008 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:48 am

ok, you were right... Having got hold of the 120mm print bed (man post from china takes forever to get to the uk...), I've decided its too small... no surprises there. I guess I'll use the small bed for a small printer for my little girl some point in the future...

So having changed my mind, I'm going big... And I mean CR10 style big... (go big or go home, am i right?), after all, whats the point building a printer thats the same size as my current one?

Still going for the coreXY design, following the hypercube evolution idea. However, I'm going to make it my own. plans so far are:

1 - Collapsible frame. I still want this printer to be portable. But I've redefined portable too... I'm not going to be taking it on public transport, only ever in my car, so something a bit bigger is still acceptable. So, making the printer flat pack will still be a major part of my design consideration.
2 - interchangeable hotends, Just something I'd been working on, on my diy I3 printer, but this one will be better suited anyway, since the big issue i was facing was my I3 has a direct drive extruder :/
3 - Custom Marlin, Yep, I'm in the process of modifying my marlin setup. It wont be anything special. More a case of a few custom menu options (including a calibration print), and support for interchangeable hotends rather than anything fancy... I'm good, but i'm not that good lol
4 - I'm considering replacing the ramps with a due/RADDS board, but I'm not sure the slight performance gain is worth the extra cost... I'll just print a bit slower

Now, obviously, these changes in plan will mean a greater cost, so this build is going to take longer :( but It'll be so worth it in the end :)

Peter Bermingham

Post by Peter Bermingham » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:28 pm

dan3008 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:57 pm
Ok, now for my first daft question. Heated or non heated build plate? I actually only want a relatively small build plate (I'm thinking 100mm^2). This seems to be a tricky heated bed to find. I didn't really want to mess about with having a custom bed fabricated :/

So, the way I see it, I've got 3 options:
1 - make my own PCB heater print bed (not keen on this idea)
2 - use a silicone heat pad (like this stuck to the back of a aluminium plate
3 - go for an unheated bed, and just be happy with PLA prints on my smaller portable printer.

I'm leaning towards option 3, since I dont print in ABS much, but want your guys opinion

If I dont use a heated bed, what material do you recommend for an unheated bed?
I would go for a unheated bed if you are only printing PLA