Dolly Configuration

Anything goes! Cheap or expensive, FDM or SLA, DIY or Commercial.
chumm

Re: Dolly Configuration

Post by chumm » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:54 am

I'm gonna offer a guess that, if your motor current is ok, the set screws on your X pulley might need to be tightened. The slips seem to be a similar size, which could be equal to roughly a quarter turn of a pulley if the screw was being pulled at a certain position.

You could also have the motor current set ok but the motor driver might be overheating. You could try a spot check of the temp on the heatsinks of your drivers, comparing X to the others to see if it is hotter. Check your motor's heat while operating as well, it can get pretty warm but shouldn't get too hot to hold your finger on it for a few seconds. If the driver is hot you could try adding a fan for some active cooling.

Here's a reprap wiki guide to troubleshooting this problem:
http://reprap.org/wiki/Shifted_layers

3DEnthusiast

Post by 3DEnthusiast » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:50 am

Alright,
I swapped out a toothed pulley for a smooth one that I had that seems to work smoother. I think my X-axis issue was coming from the original one binding.

I've run a small test print and it worked nicely! Now the only issue I have is the top layers look under extruded but I think that was due to filament binding. I'm running a larger print now so we'll see!

Once again, thank you to everyone for your help!

3DEnthusiast

Post by 3DEnthusiast » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:35 am

Okay, Next question.

Nothing has changed in my bed settings but now G29 is throwing this and even though the probe triggers, it tries to bury the extruder in two places. I'll let you guess where.

Code: Select all

Bilinear Leveling Grid:
      0     1     2     3
 0 -2.29 -2.54 -2.87 -6.97
 1 -2.28 -2.51 -2.80 -3.11
 2 -2.61 -2.85 -3.09 -6.55
 3 -2.59 -2.87 -3.13 -3.21
*UPDATE*
This things apparently corrected itself but ended up having a Thermal Runaway on the hotend a short time later. I dislike bugs that are sporadic.

chumm

Post by chumm » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:11 am

You say the probe triggers, does that mean it eventually triggers while it's crashing into the bed, or it looks perfectly normal but the number it outputs is way off?

It looked like you had a PEI sheet or some other build surface, some of the tiny probes like the ones in the Dolly guide have such a short sensing distance they occasionally have issues with added build surfaces. Mine sort of faded away over time, I got it working by switching to feeding it 12v instead of the board's default of 5v (they're all rated 6-36v), then it started failing again and I eventually just got a much bigger probe that senses past the PEI sheet easily. Basically it was similar to what you're seeing, for me it was always one of the far right points that would fail and cause the print head to start to crash, then while it was crashing it would eventually trigger, resulting in a bilinear mesh that was totally wrong.

Thermal runaway can be a wonky thermistor in the hotend (jiggle cables and see if it changes the reading) or PID settings. You already ran the PID autotune so just having a look at a temp graph in pronterface or octopi will give you a good idea of if you have a smooth steady curve. As previously noted you can also ease up your runaway settings to prevent a false positive.

3DEnthusiast

Post by 3DEnthusiast » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:39 am

My probe has a red light that is always on unless it is triggered, then the light turns off. When it would crash like that, the light would shut off and the z axis would keep driving it down. Honestly, I just shut it off and walked away for a while then when I came back, everything was working and reading normally again.

I do have a .25mm PEI sheet on the surface but that doesn't seem to have much effect on the probe. I was considering marking where the probe actually lands and then slipping a steel washer under the PEI sheet in those spots to help up it's sensitivity to the metal. It's an idea I haven't quite committed to yet.

The thermal runaways are random and I can't really see when or why it would happen. At most, it floats barely a degree hotter than it is set but even that doesn't appear to be a long time.

Also, I am running across adhesion issues on bigger prints. I ran a version of the Spool holders and the first attempts were fine until about layer 2 when it would peel away from the bed. I am now running it again but I added some glue stick so hopefully that will keep it stuck.

Ultimately, I'm hoping to get the bugs ironed out enough to make this a reliable printer, like an actual Prusa, and then throw it onto an Octoprint. Right now, I'm using strictly Pronterface and bouncing between Cura and the Prusa flavored Slic3r.

Thanks everyone!

3DEnthusiast

Post by 3DEnthusiast » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:07 pm

I've updated my firmware with the thermal runaway changes suggested earlier as well as rerunning the PID configuration and plugging those numbers in. It still gave me a thermal runaway so I'm still trying to figure that out.

I have a genuine E3D V6.

chumm

Post by chumm » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:09 pm

It should be an observable problem. If the temp stays X degrees below the target for Y seconds, it will trigger runaway protection. The Pronterface temperature graph should be able to show you at least generally the nature of the problem, in particular whether it's a sudden drop of the detected temperature because of thermistor failure, or a gradual temperature drop due to some failure in the heating mechanism. If it's always sitting within 1 degree like you say, thermal runaway simply should not be possible. I guess it could be a software bug in that case, you can disable the feature entirely in configuration.h, just place a // before the definition:

Code: Select all

//===========================================================================
//======================== Thermal Runaway Protection =======================
//===========================================================================

/**
 * Thermal Protection protects your printer from damage and fire if a
 * thermistor falls out or temperature sensors fail in any way.
 * The issue: If a thermistor falls out or a temperature sensor fails,
 * Marlin can no longer sense the actual temperature. Since a disconnected
 * thermistor reads as a low temperature, the firmware will keep the heater on.
 * If you get "Thermal Runaway" or "Heating failed" errors the
 * details can be tuned in Configuration_adv.h
 */

#define THERMAL_PROTECTION_HOTENDS // Enable thermal protection for all extruders
#define THERMAL_PROTECTION_BED     // Enable thermal protection for the heated bed
Of course disabling protection is not recommended as it could create a fire hazard in the event of a failed thermistor.

3DEnthusiast

Post by 3DEnthusiast » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:09 am

Okay,

One of the hotend cables was broken and barely making contact with the Ramps. Solved that and it seems like it's running smoothly now.

3DEnthusiast

Post by 3DEnthusiast » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:45 pm

I couldn't leave well enough alone. I got some DRV8825s and plugged them in and cooked my boards. I started a new post concerning it but thought I would throw it here as well.

the TL;DR is that I ordered a new Ramps board and turned the DRV8825s down. Are there any other suggestions before I fry another board?