Dolly DRV8825

Anything goes! Cheap or expensive, FDM or SLA, DIY or Commercial.
3DEnthusiast

Re: Dolly DRV8825

Post by 3DEnthusiast » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:19 am

Alright, on a whim I put the old motors back in and they all work again. No problems at all. This has been crazy.

My only problem now is the extruder does not seem like it's working with either motor, new or old.

Edit: nevermind. The extruder works.

3DEnthusiast

Post by 3DEnthusiast » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:10 pm

How hot should the motors be getting? How hot is acceptable? My X and Y seem pretty hot. I can hold the X axis motor in my fingers for a long time but it seems just below too hot to hold.

chumm

Post by chumm » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:36 am

Too hot to hold is a convenient guideline for whether the motors are too hot for continued operation. 60-70 C is roughly the recommended maximum temperature for most standard steppers, anything over 80 gets into damaging territory over time. Since you can heat your bed and test your hold temp (all our hands are differently calloused, after all,) try heating your bed to 60ish and comparing the feeling with the motor.

You should be able to dial things down a bit too on the X and Y motors. I find that usually only the extruder motor, when there's no gearing-down, needs enough current/torque to get significantly hot during operation. Your motors will run hot if the vref on the driver is turned up regardless of whether they actually need that much current, so it's easy run them unnecessarily hot.

3DEnthusiast

Post by 3DEnthusiast » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:07 am

That's good to know. My X and Y are not as hot as the Heated bed when it gets to 60C. Still, I might try to tune them down a little.

Thanks!