1. I have read through the upgrade manual and determined the new parts list:
I've put it on a Google Doc for convenience
Total cost for me (including a spool of orange ABS) was ~110USD. Some of the hardware can be sourced from the old extruder and the spare parts bag that came with the original printer, so your milage will vary. Keep in mind you could probably source more things off AliExpress than I did to get your costs down, but I didn't want to skimp on the motors or tube fittings.
2. The Official kit comes with a new hot end, so I had to figure out what the differences are. So I asked on the Prusa Forums. Looks like the PTFE tube just needs to be modified as per this page on Prusa's site.
3. The new dual geared extruders use a pinioned and hobbed gear sourced from Bondtech, which cost 50USD for a single set. Buying 4 of those (200USD) is out of the question for me, so I have a 3d printed solution in the works that should be cheap and easy, but will require minor changes to the new extruder housing.
4. For the Extruder Motor Switch Board I will either have to order from Prusa (If they make it available) or reverse engineer from the firmware changes. Seems like it should just a MUX and some relays.
5. I did not source parts for the Spool holders, since these should be a sufficient replacement: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2047554
My order from Amazon is set to come in a week, and my order from AliExpress is set to come in a month or so.
- Source hardware
- Print Parts
- Stepper Switcher Board
- Modify Hot End tubing
- Design new Dual Extrusion drive
- Build it
- Work in Single Extrusion Mode
- Print with it
I have figured out what I am going to do for the for the extruder switching board. I found a 16-channel(4-bit) Multiplexer and an 8-channel relay board. The multiplexer cost me $2.50US and the relay board cost $7.00US for a total added cost of ~$10US. It's definitely not going to be as compact or as clean looking as the official solution, however it should be functionally equivalent. These should be last parts that I need to actually buy, and I have updated the parts sheet.
I received a few parts in the mail last week, check the post below for more details.
I finally have a working extruder prototype! See below for more details.