MK42 bed clones finally available?

Anything goes! Cheap or expensive, FDM or SLA, DIY or Commercial.
david.kiddell

Re: MK42 bed clones finally available?

Post by david.kiddell » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:14 am

I ended up being impatient and printed some standoffs with PETG. Got the bed mounted and flashed slippy's firmware and now it seems like it can't drive the motors :(

slippyr4

Post by slippyr4 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:08 pm

Why not? Any clues? Have you tried with a different firmware? Are your steppers connected right?
Self-built Prusa i3 MK2 clone
My things: https://www.thingiverse.com/slippyr4/designs
My Prusa firmware port for ramps & MKS : https://github.com/slippyr4/Prusa-Firmware

david.kiddell

Post by david.kiddell » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:06 am

slippyr4 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:08 pm
Why not? Any clues? Have you tried with a different firmware? Are your steppers connected right?
I'm mystified, it was working with marlin 1.1.1. Should I compare the motor current PWM values maybe?

Aziraphale

Post by Aziraphale » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:05 pm

Woop! Orballo has finally shipped out my Mk42!

Ordered on 8th August; shipped on 6th September. Not bad for something that was "in stock" ;)

(Of course, all they've done at this point is mark it as "shipped" and given me a UPS tracking number - I paid extra for UPS shipping - there's no guarantee that they'll give it to UPS today!)

Moorviper

Post by Moorviper » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:32 pm

that is nothing i ordered a amazon basic mousepad on april 18th via prime -> got it august 6th ;-)
THAT'S PRIME :D

Still waiting for the heatbed from autotronic :-(

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:54 am

I wish I had seen this thread before ordering. I ruined my original prusa MK42 bed, and I was slightly appalled prusa charge 94 euro for a replacement. So I googled for a clone and ordered the Orballo. A week later, still not shipped, and apparently I can expect to wait a lot longer.

Whats worse, is that if I understand you right, its not really a drop in replacement, and I'll need to source standoffs somewhere?

keyz

Post by keyz » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:59 am

Vertigo wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:54 am
I wish I had seen this thread before ordering. I ruined my original prusa MK42 bed, and I was slightly appalled prusa charge 94 euro for a replacement. So I googled for a clone and ordered the Orballo. A week later, still not shipped, and apparently I can expect to wait a lot longer.

Whats worse, is that if I understand you right, its not really a drop in replacement, and I'll need to source standoffs somewhere?
Someone with an actual Prusa MK2 will need to weigh in here, but I imagine you can probably scavenge the standoffs from the original bed no? Have you taken your bed off the printer yet? If so, any chance you could post a few pics of the bottom? There's an odd lack of pictures on the internet of good images the underside of the MK42, so can't really see enough detail to make a suggestion.

slippyr4

Post by slippyr4 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:18 am

what keyz said.

It's just 6mm hex standoffs with some small M3 CSK screws. What you have on your original bed will be fine.

You need to put them on nice and tight thgouh, because once you put the PEI on you don't want them working loose!
Self-built Prusa i3 MK2 clone
My things: https://www.thingiverse.com/slippyr4/designs
My Prusa firmware port for ramps & MKS : https://github.com/slippyr4/Prusa-Firmware

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:33 am

I seemed to recall the original bed had 'integrated' standoffs in the middle, but I just looked, and it seems I remembered wrong. Yeah, I should be fine recycling the standoffs and screws from the original bed. I guess the problem will be waiting...

Shopshire_Slasher

Post by Shopshire_Slasher » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:03 pm

I ordered 2 MK42 beds and a p3steel frame from Orballo on Sep 3rd and have yet to received any communication from them at all, despite multiple requests from me. Anyone gotten anything shipped from them recently? It seems that they're running a month or so behind based on the other posts in this thread so I'm not quite ready to panic.

It sure would be nice if they would respond in any way! And would be nice if they would accurately represent "in stock" and "most orders ship within 24 hours" :x