New to 3D printing

Anything goes! Cheap or expensive, FDM or SLA, DIY or Commercial.
OOC

New to 3D printing

Post by OOC » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:09 pm

Hello all,

My son and I are new to 3D printing and we are trying to decide if we should go with Ultimaker3 extended or the Prusa.

We want to be able to learn and grow with this printer. We are looking at printing things that require supports. We are also looking at printing things that require carbon fiber, nylon, pva, pla and so on.

We have a back ground in design and 3D modeling.

We are hoping to find a printer that is reliable, solid and yields a great finished product.

Can anyone please give us your thoughts on these 2 printer or if you have a suggestion of another printer we should be looking at.

Thank you very much for your time.

Moorviper

Re: New to 3D printing

Post by Moorviper » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:39 pm

They habe both their pros and cons

unless prusa delivers the multimaterial upgrade for the mk3 the ultimaker would be the better solution.
But the prusa have a bigger build area on the plate

OOC

Post by OOC » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:43 pm

Thank you for your reply.

Can you please let me know what your thoughts are on the pros and cons please.

Thanks

MarkusKruse

Post by MarkusKruse » Thu May 10, 2018 11:35 pm

Prusa:
1.75mm filament, way more common today
Excellent bed levelling
Easy removable buildplate (spring steel)
PEI-sheet on the buildplate
More hackable than the Ultimaker
Bigger community
Direct drive and bondtech extruder
Silent
Maybe a multi material upgrade is on the way, yeah probably. Will handle 5 different materials.

Ultimaker:
Looks slightly better?
Dual extrusion built into it
Removable buildplate (glass)
Swappable print cores (basically the hot-end)
Active bed leveling (I think it measures on 3 points)
I don't know what a Dual geared extruder is, but the Ultimaker has it
No printed parts (well, some of them had, but they got replaced iirc)

Rui

Post by Rui » Mon May 28, 2018 12:04 am

OOC wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:09 pm
Hello all,

My son and I are new to 3D printing and we are trying to decide if we should go with Ultimaker3 extended or the Prusa.

We want to be able to learn and grow with this printer. We are looking at printing things that require supports. We are also looking at printing things that require carbon fiber, nylon, pva, pla and so on.

We have a back ground in design and 3D modeling.

We are hoping to find a printer that is reliable, solid and yields a great finished product.

Can anyone please give us your thoughts on these 2 printer or if you have a suggestion of another printer we should be looking at.

Thank you very much for your time.
Can't really compare the two, for the price of a Ultimaker, you can buy more than 2 Prusas depending if you buy or not as a kit...

Both are capable printers, but the Ultimaker is superior mechanically, and it's capable of printing at faster travel speeds and acceleration speeds, and you can't mod that away.

abu123456

Post by abu123456 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:41 pm

Hey there,
While 3D printers still aren’t particularly cheap, there are several that come with a relatively low price tag. We’ve located and thoroughly researched three of the best budget 3D printers on the market so that you don’t have to.

My first recommendation is the Monoprice Select Mini. At a little over $200, this model is an excellent choice for people looking to dip their toes into the world of 3D printing.It has a 4.7” build area. This isn’t huge, but it’s still large enough to create models or little things for around the home. With a printing speed of 55mm/s, it’s slightly faster than others in this price range. Need a bracket for that cupboard door? No problem, just wait a few hours.

I actutually purchased this printer after reviewed this list ( https://www.3dbeginners.com/best-3d-printer/), Just they said this is excellent service than other .

Moorviper

Post by Moorviper » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:23 pm

unless your list is crap the robo are bad ones in my opinion ...
and there is no ender3 which has actually some little issues but is open source and unbeatable for the price.