Prometheus System on i3 MK2S?

Anything goes! Cheap or expensive, FDM or SLA, DIY or Commercial.
ctday

Prometheus System on i3 MK2S?

Post by ctday » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:05 pm

Has anyone tried this dual extruder system? Any pointers to useful information? All I need, I think, are supports for the extruders and some hardware to switch extruders by expanding RAMBo mini with something. I guess I can design the former but would appreciate any suggestions for the latter. Thanks.

dan3008

Re: Prometheus System on i3 MK2S?

Post by dan3008 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:27 pm

I use one on my DIY I3, The only thing I would recomend is dont forget to use the prime tower when switching filament ;) lol

Mozella

Re: Prometheus System on i3 MK2S?

Post by Mozella » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:38 am

I'm brand new to 3D printing and I'm researching both hardware and software. I saw this thread while searching for information on the Prometheus extruder. After watching Tom's video, I expected this device to be the best thing since sliced bread. But that video was made a year and a half ago, so it's not exactly brand new.

Since then, it doesn't seem that the device, or clones of the device, has become the big hit I might have expected. Based on nearly zero personal experience, I can't understand why.

I would have thought the ability to print in two colors or print a support structure from a different material would be very attractive to the hobby level serious enthusiast. The implementation seems reasonable. Tom's excellent video does a great job explaining the down sides of other ways to print with more than one filament. It looks to me that Prometheus system is a clear winner and I think Tom came to the same conclusion.

They're not giving the components away, but they aren't all that expensive either. It looks to me as though the software is not a problem either.

So where's the love?