Is an A8 with TMC2130 drivers silent?

Where it began and what we all love most
PietBos

Is an A8 with TMC2130 drivers silent?

Post by PietBos » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:53 pm

Hello, I own an Anet A8 upgraded to AM8.
I've read something about to silencing the motors with TMC2130 drivers.
But I don't understand how.
Do I have to replace the original ANET A8 motherboard, with a RAMPS board?
Is that upgrade necessary?
And what about firmware?

Please be gentle with me, I'm 70 years old and don't understand things directly.
My native language is Dutch and I can cope with English

Hope someone can shed some light over this topic.

regards Piet.

Moorviper

Re: Is an A8 with TMC2130 drivers silent?

Post by Moorviper » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:03 pm

if your bearings are crap NO
if your fans are loud NO
If you want to use TMC2130 you have to replace the board.

If you want a good ramps board buy this one:
https://orballoprinting.com/en/home/54- ... 4-sb-.html

it has some quality components.
I had some 1.4 china, one 1.5 and one 1.6.
all of them have downsides.
the 1.6 in general is relatively good but is not open source and can only be used with one voltage.
And you power the board + the heatbed with only one connector ..

PietBos

Post by PietBos » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:06 pm

I use Igus bearings end hardly hear the fans.
Which board is the best to use, and which firmware?

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:31 am

Hi Piet,

The A8 has motor drivers built into the main board. In order to use different drivers (such as the TMC2130) you will need to replace the board. The least expensive way to do this requires two components:
  • Mega 2560 microcontroller (original by Arduino)
  • RAMPS 1.4 (or 1.5/1.6)
The RAMPS is a board that snaps directly onto the Mega 2560 and specifically organizes the microcontroller for use as a 3d printer. TMC2130 drivers are then snapped onto the RAMPS for each motor you wish to control.

Once the hardware is assembled, you will need to flash firmware on the Mega 2560. Marlin 1.1.8 is the current version of the most popular firmware and will support the TMC2130.

Please keep in mind that you need to be reasonably comfortable disassembling and reassembling these components, you may have to create a wiring harness for the new drivers, and you must be capable of editing the Marlin firmware before installing it onto the microcontroller.

Best,
Stefan

PietBos

Post by PietBos » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:12 pm

I've decided to upgrade to RAMPS v1.6
Has anyone a good working configuration for me?
In the current (standard A8) I have a MosFet driver for the heated bed and for the Extruder.
Is is good practice to use the MosFet also in the RAMPS configuration?

best regards Piet.

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:17 pm

Hi Piet,

Start with this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B57gIsBxNzc

Tom hooks up the electronics and flashes the firmware for his Dolly. This is essentially what you will be doing followed by swapping out the drivers and using your daughter board for powering the heated bed and extruder.

Generally, the mosfets in RAMPS boards are a weak link in the chain as they barely manage the current expected from them.

-Stefan

PietBos

Post by PietBos » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:34 am

I admire the work of Tom, but what a drag it is to watch this video.
Watching gras grown is more entertaining.

unixb0y

Post by unixb0y » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:00 pm

Hi Piet,

First of all I think it's great to see elderly people like you get into 3D Printing and electronics!
Stefan already gave some good tips and also a bit of time has passed - so I wonder how your project is going :-)
I'm personally currently building a low-budget Prusa MK3 and I also happen to have an Anet A8 ;-) So what you're talking about is exactly the kind of stuff that I do / use.

Some of this stuff might have been said before, but here are my thoughts:

You'll need to get a new board to use TMC2130 on the Anet, as its board doesn't allow for switching out drivers. The cheapest way is to use RAMPS + Arduino Mega 2560.
Usually, what you get from Amazon is the exact same stuff from China as what they sell on Banggood / AliExpress, so I recommend Banggood as it ships a lot faster than AliExpress (to Germany at least, I think it's the same for Denmark) and is only slightly more expensive.
For example currently, there's a set with both boards for just 15€: https://www.banggood.com/3D-Printer-RAM ... 84594.html
It does also include cheap drivers that can always come in handy and it should be cheaper than buying RAMPS and MEGA2560 separately.
What you will need extra is: RAMPS-LCD-Adapter (under 2€ on Banggood) as well as some long female headers (2-3€ for a set of 5) https://www.banggood.com/5pcs-8P-2_54MM ... 05371.html because you will have to share the SPI signals with the LCD and the stepper drivers. (see my setup: https://unixb0y.github.io/blog/articles ... mc2130-pt2)

Then, of course some TMC2130's (as many as you want). You can choose to only use them for the X,Y motion (most noise) and use the ones in the kit for the rest of the motors or alternatively use TMC2130 for everything.
Be careful to buy the drivers with the correct setup. FYSETC sells driver boards setup in "standalone mode" (no SPI) which are hard to reconfigure (tiny smd soldering needed). Get these for example: https://www.banggood.com/TMC2130-V1_1-S ... rehouse=CN

The wiring harness isn't as difficult as you might think. If you can crimp and / or solder, that's all you need. Instead of crimping (need to crimp 2 wires in one connector - very tricky!) you can just solder together a few jumper wires that you have lying around (or use a breadboard - NOT recommended except for testing purposes) :-)

Here's the best video about these drivers IMHO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVHVCPcFHUs

Also, as others mentioned, when you start using TMC2130, you will suddenly start hearing your fans ;-) The 40mm Noctua fan used on the MK3 is perfect, but a bit expensive (20€). I've heard there are clones on AliExpress, but couldn't find them yet.

Good luck and keep us updated, if you wish!

Dave
~ Dave ~

Dik

Post by Dik » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:16 pm

As a fellow septuagenarian, I must say 70 isn't elderly, you just feel older sometimes... :D
Sells Mendel and Prusa i3 Mk3 Kit built and working great.
Things not 3DP related:
Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models

PietBos

Post by PietBos » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:58 pm

Thanks for the support Dik, but I'm sure Dave meant it positive.
I did take no offense.

Back to the topic.
I've learned that the 2108 driver is better when you use the original motors, the 2130 can't handle the higer currents the motors draw and will be missing steps.
Can anyoune shed some light over this?

best regards Piet.