My Prusa I3 MK2 Dolly clone - Build log / progress report

Where it began and what we all love most
Stefan

Re: My Prusa I3 MK2 Dolly clone - Build log / progress report

Post by Stefan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:53 am

As long as you have good contact between the thermistor and the bed (kapton) works well, you should be fine. The key is to get consistent readings, not necessarily accurate ones. You may set your PLA to 210 instead of 200 because of the readings, but as long as it always reads the same way, you can really dial it in.

A hint for crimping fine gauge wires: cut a little extra insulation off (so the bare end is a little long), then fold the bare part in half. Now you are crimping on a thicker piece of copper.

Oh, I have one of those cheap B&D jigsaws. Invest in good blades. I get almost no tear-out and pretty straight lines (go slowly).

-Stefan

warren.watts

Post by warren.watts » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:06 am

Stefan, thank you for the tip regarding doubling up the strands when crimping ends on fine gauge wires. Every crimped end I have put on since taking your advice has worked faultlessly the first try. It's so obvious a solution; I don't know why it didn't occur to me.

unixb0y

Post by unixb0y » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:09 am

Warren, what kind of wires do you use for the motors?
When crimping regular Dupont wires (size of jumper wires) it usually fits perfectly.
Of course the thermistor wires are tiny, but every other cable on the printer should be just the right size for a Dupont connector :-)
~ Dave ~

warren.watts

Post by warren.watts » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:33 am

unixb0y wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:09 am
Warren, what kind of wires do you use for the motors?
When crimping regular Dupont wires (size of jumper wires) it usually fits perfectly.
Of course the thermistor wires are tiny, but every other cable on the printer should be just the right size for a Dupont connector :-)
The motors came with 1M long four conductor cables, but I needed to shorten them up, and the MKS GEN L main board I am using has four pin JST connectors for the stepper connections instead of Dupont connectors. So I had to cut off the extra length and attach JST connectors.

warren.watts

Post by warren.watts » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:36 am

Got the beast up and running today, and after much tweaking and fiddling, managed to produce a pretty nice looking benchy!
ImageImageImage

Moorviper

Post by Moorviper » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:43 pm

looks good for first rint but with z wobble.
I printed some nuts in pla which work very good.
the metal nuts are crap

unixb0y

Post by unixb0y » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:04 pm

Hi Warren,
Good job! It must be very satisfying to have the first print come off the build plate :)
Building a printer from scratch is a whole different story than getting a kit as it always takes soooo much more time :lol:
I'm still waiting for the frame and cloned bondtech gears (didn't exist 2 months ago) :roll: , but the next days I will build my extruder & that sort of stuff that I can already do now :)
~ Dave ~