Please Help setting up Anet A8 Slicing

Where it began and what we all love most
Jim JKla

Please Help setting up Anet A8 Slicing

Post by Jim JKla » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:11 pm

I bought myself an Anet A8 in a Black Friday flash sale and got a realy good deal under 100 GBP it took about 7 weeks to arrive but I did get a very good price.

I decided not to remove the brown paper coating on the acrylic as removal is a pain, it has no impact on the build and I quite like the look.

The assembly took about 5 hours sorting out the wiring a further two with the biggest pain being the [expletive removed] spiral wrap.

The 3D Printing Noob did an excellent live build available on You Tube ut when it came to slicing he suggested and used Simplify 3D.

Now my budget does not stretch to $149 USD If I could afford that kind of disposable I would have spent more on a printer. 😉

So I am seeking help I know the printer is set up correctly as my print of the Chess piece and the Baymax Gcode preinstalled on the SD Card have produced fantastic prints with the reel of Sunlu Red PLA+ I bought from Amazon.

When my print head tore the masking tape before my first print I used the glass from an old picture frame and Glue stick and the printing as I say has been fantastic.

I managed to get RepitierHost_1_0_5 to communicate with the printer and this helped me resolve a sticking issue on the Z axis cured by slightly loosening the Z axis lead screw nuts not a lot just enough to allow them to float and align.

I also noticed two grub screws in the right X axis mount loosened these significantly simplify the passage of the X axis rods making note to retighten these grub screws once the rods are located.

What I am after is a step by step instruction on setting up CURA which comes with the printer It also has a profile for the Anet A8 with no instructions on how to implement this profile.

Also I have been told the Slic3r Prusa edition is also a suitable free slicer where many have said just use the Prusa i3 profile but with no detail on these setups.

I thought I had the profile set in CURA I downloaded the Low Poly Picachu from Thingiverse just as a test but there must be something wrong in the settings as it does not even print a first layer.

Hey I know I have a good printer the G Code on the sd card proves this but where can I find help with the next step without laying out for Simplify 3D.

I would prefer to use Slic3r but if I can get Instructions I would be satisfied using CURA.

chumm

Re: Please Help setting up Anet A8 Slicing

Post by chumm » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:10 pm

I don't have this printer so I don't know all the specifics, but I can help with Slic3r.

There are 4 tabs at the top: Plater, Print Settings, Filament Settings, Printer Settings.

The plater tab is where you lay out your prints. The three settings tabs each allow you to save a group of settings so you can easily recall them later. There's a drop-down box near the top of each settings tab with several presets. You can create new presets by adjusting the settings then pressing the save icon, you can either save over the existing setting or type a new name to create a new setting.

For your initial setup, you'll be fine using one of the presets for print settings (try 0.20mm NORMAL) and filament settings (one of the Prusa filament settings depending on what type of filament you have). What you'll need to set up for yourself is your printer under printer settings.

Start in printer settings by selecting the "Original Prusa i3 Mk2 with ZHop" preset. It can be hard to read long names on that drop down list, but if you go over to the plater tab you should be able to see the full name in the top-right. We'll use this preset as a starting point to build your Anet A8 profile, that way it'll only need some minor tweaks.

With that preset selected, in printer settings there are 3 sections on the left: General, Custom G-code, and Extruder 1. We'll only need to make adjustments to General and Custom G-code.

Under General, click the Set button next to Bed Shape and set the size to 220,220 and the origin to 0,0. The reset of the settings in General should be left alone for now.

Under Custom G-code, you'll see some code filled in for the first two fields, start G-code and end G-code. This is the one I'm not 100% sure on because I don't really know how this printer handles leveling etc., but I found a post with someone else's code so I'm adapting some of it to the standard start/end code. Copy these fields and overwrite the existing ones.

Start Gcode:

Code: Select all

M115 U3.0.10 ; tell printer latest fw version
M140 S[first_layer_bed_temperature] ; set bed temp
M190 S[first_layer_bed_temperature] ; wait for bed temp
G28 X0 Y0 ; home X and Y axes
G28 Z0 ; home Z axis
G29 ; bed leveling
M104 S[first_layer_temperature] ; set extruder temp
M109 S[first_layer_temperature] ; wait for extruder temp
M83  ; extruder relative mode
End Gcode:

Code: Select all

G4 ; wait
M104 S0 ; turn off temperature
M140 S0 ; turn off heatbed
M107 ; turn off fan
M84 ; disable motors
That's all the printer settings we need, now just click the disk icon at the top-left and type in a new name for your new settings, this will save it to a separate entry on the drop-down list.

With all that done, you can get started slicing by dragging an STL file onto the plater. If you want to preview how it'll print, click Slice now in the upper-right, then click the preview tab at the bottom. You can then drag the layer line on the right of the plater screen up and down to see how each layer will look while printing.

To prepare the G-code for printing, just click Export G-code in the top-right and you'll be prompted to save the G-code file. From there you can put the file on the SD card, or if you've got Repetier Host working you should be able to print it over USB.

Let us know if you run into any issues!

Jim JKla

Post by Jim JKla » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:53 am

Thanks for that I will be trying those settings with a Benchy probably tonight.

I was really hoping for answers from someone who had actually done this with an Anet A8 because at least I would know we are working from a common frame of reference.

Although I have to say all the help is gratefully received.

I am hoping Tom will build the Anet A8 he keeps telling us he has ready waiting to build and when he does an included detail on slicing would be fantastic but I suppose that's asking too much

Jim JKla

Post by Jim JKla » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:23 pm

OK I finally got somewhere and this is good fix.

I opened the gcode of the model that printed well from the provided sd card I decoded the settings pumped those settings into slic3r and printed a Benchy beautifully.

I had to re level the bed but that was no big deal.

I tried my first big print I am sometimes using masking tape and did on this occasion but I had a layer shift about 10% into printing.

I had a filament leak around the heat break (The heat block had worked loose) this caused a blob of filament that hit the cooling shroud and I think that is what caused the layer shift.

I am now tinkering with the settings but I am very happy with this printer. :D

I was planning on doing some improvements to stiffen the frame but I am reluctant to do this while the prints I am getting are so good.

enriqueiglesias

Post by enriqueiglesias » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:32 pm

Layer Height: 0.2mm is a good starting point; but due to the lead screws the Anet A8 Uses, you should adjust this in increments of 0.04mm not the 0.05mm that cura uses, as that will create positioning errors. for more issues you can visit to the hp printer offline windows 10 and get the help.