Things to think about if you are going to buy a Anet A8

Where it began and what we all love most
johnhodgson1111

Re: Things to think about if you are going to buy a Anet A8

Post by johnhodgson1111 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:23 pm

Monkeh wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:36 pm
Two power supplies is, uh.. unneccessary. Again, stock one has all the power needed, and your extra one.. even more so.

Restraining the leadscrews will just make wobble worse - make sure your leadscrews are straight, adjust the motor and nut positions to get them to run parallel to the guide rods, and fix the X axis tensioning so it's not trying to pull the two carriages together.
The Hotbed only got to 90c, ABS on the software wanted 110c before printing. added insulation, kapton tape and dedicated ps set to 12v got hotbed to 109c, adjusted to 14v that changed the 12v and that wattage of 138watts to 178watts, easily get 110c, cura set to 100c , abs is very muched fused nicely and very little warping on parts.

johnhodgson1111

Post by johnhodgson1111 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:38 pm

The z wobble was reduced, i used a steel radial bearing with a mounting secured to z axis rods. used a 6 in. Digital Caliper to measure z axis rods and they are equal on the left side, no play top and bottom measurements. the right side z wobble has a slight play between the motor mount end and upper rods. I am printing new z motor mounts (they have slotted mounting holes for motor adjustments and screw mount adjustments, going to use the middle frame as a x measurement, and guide rods as y measurement.

there is very little heat on both z axis motors, this tells me that there is no major binding after a 18 hour print.

going to get cork for mounting and vibrational damping.

johnhodgson1111

Post by johnhodgson1111 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:44 pm

You also shouldn't tin any connector that goes in to a screw terminal. Because the tinned wire can't compress, there is less surface to surface contact between the wire and the terminal. Either use blade connectors, ferrules, or bare wires.
Eh, contact area's really not an issue - tinned wire compresses fine. The problem is the tin flows under pressure and the contact pressure weakens, especially with thermal cycling.

I didnt mention that I also used terminal lugs and hard soldered and heatshrinked the stranded 14ga wires to terminal lugs. So good contact.

Radio Shack solder Alloys commonly used for electrical soldering are 60/40 Sn-Pb, which melts at 188 °C (370 °F),

The Mosfets are a temp barrier to the Anet Motherboard. only the control 12v are going to the board.

The Hotend being completely insulated with 3mm insulation cotton and kapton tape has only a 1c temp variation, it drifts from 240c to 241c. very stable as without the insulation the temp went from 240c to 245c which cycled all the time, that affects the filament fluidness and print adhesion to each layer.

I am a ex Electronics Tech and IMM Trade School Tech.