Filament that is not dissolvable in brake fluid

Materials, Materials, Materials!
icefire

Filament that is not dissolvable in brake fluid

Post by icefire » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:43 pm

Hello everyone :)
I was working on a crazy funnel which can be attached to the brake fluid reservoir of my car, thus increasing the volume of the reservoir which could help a lot when bleeding the brake system as it is not necessary to constantly monitor the brake fluid level while pumping fluid out of the system.

The design currently looks like this:

However, I never got to use it because after putting some test parts in a small container with old brake fluid, I noticed that the brake fluid gets colored. I have been using PLA because such a thin walled object won't be easy to print in ABS.

So while PLA itself doesn't dissolve in brake fluid, the coloring of the filament seems to react with the fluid. So it is not a good funnel like this. I don't know if the coloring would influence the brake fluid quality but I wouldn't like to test it :)

Could anyone suggest a better alternative that could be used?

P.S.: I already finished the brake job the old-fashioned way without the funnel but am still curious if there is a filament that does not react with brake fluid.

ronka

Re: Filament that is not dissolvable in brake fluid

Post by ronka » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:49 am

use the type that's written on the tank your filling :D
pet filament is an option because brake fluid is caustic and pet is resiliant.. would first do a test do..

PartTimeRonin

Post by PartTimeRonin » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:51 am

Nylon should be fine i think, brake fluid seem to be glycol ether or mineral oil based so it should work.
Also try to buy natural color, less addictive to worry about.

oakdesign

Post by oakdesign » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:03 am

At least on 2 of my mopeds the brake fluid container is original made out of nylon.
As I'm going to use my Printer for some parts for motorcycle repair and restoration I'll do some resistance test with different materials and liquids.
Theory is sometimes different. Like PLA should be resistant to Acetone but as Thomas showed and I tested it too you can bond PLA parts with Acetone

Regards Richard
Opa's bester Rat: Probieren geht über Studieren, Grandpas best advice: the proof of the pudding is in the eating

icefire

Post by icefire » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:45 pm

Sorry it took me forever to write back.
Nylon would be my first choice, I'm not happy with the price though.

Maybe I should try PET first. It is cheaper and... I know from experience that braking fluid doesn't eat plastic bottles (like mineral water, coca-cola, etc.) which are generally made of PET... So this would be my first try :)

oakdesign

Post by oakdesign » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:23 pm

Your right I store mostly all of my mineral and syntetic oils in PET Bottles.
Opa's bester Rat: Probieren geht über Studieren, Grandpas best advice: the proof of the pudding is in the eating

RickFisher

Post by RickFisher » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:25 pm

A funnel like that it's necessary on modern radiators to completely bleed the air out of the system. Check some YouTube videos to see what I mean.

So the answer here is petg for a cheap solution but nylonx or nylon for best solution?