Settings for DasFILAMENT PETG

Materials, Materials, Materials!
QBall

Settings for DasFILAMENT PETG

Post by QBall » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:06 am

Greetings!

So, my first post in this forum. Have anybody some experience with the PETG of DasFilament (1.75mm)? I use it for a while. It's very durable and I like it, except its the top surface (pillowing). So I might be helpfull for others to share the settings which work fine.

At the moment I use the following:
General:
Nozzel: 0.4mm
Layer hight: 0.25mm
infill: 30%
Extrusion multiplier: 1.15
Retraction: 2mm

First layer:
Hotend: 232°C
Bed: 85°C
Printspeed: 30mm/s
Fan: 0 (don't have one at the moment)

Other layer:
Hotend: 228°C
Bed: 75°C
Printspeed: 50mm/s
Fan: 0 (don't have one at the moment)

This are my values. I use the newest RepetierHost with Slic3r. Somehow I got the feeling the the older Slic3r Version lead to better print results. Mybe I'll check that out.

Now, I'm really interested in your settings!

Greetz!

oakdesign

Re: Settings for DasFILAMENT PETG

Post by oakdesign » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:31 pm

I'm using PETG from das filament.de since I got my printer about 4 weeks ago.
First with the original direct drive of my Anet A8.
nozzle:0.4mm
Layer height: depending but most 0.2 mm
First layer height: 0.2mm on painters tape and aluminium and pritt glue stick
Temp first layer 235° C no fan
Second layer and above: 225°C fan 100%
Rectraction 6.5 mm at 20mm/s as this is the default setting in Cura 2.5 and at that time I didn't really care about retraction settings.
Infill changed depending on the model and usage from 10% up to 50%

Prints came out quite ok but compared to PLA prints top/bottom layers were more "rough" with PETG.

Since I changed to a E3D all metal hotend with bowden I'm struggling a bit with PETG as I have more issues with stringing and blobing.
So currently I'm in the phase of printing test series with PETG to find the right settings. So for stringing I'm currelty best with 3-4 mm retraction at 50mm/s at print speeds from 30 - 80 mm/s with movement speed of about 120mm/s.
The issue I'm still facing is the somehow inconsistent extrusion. Esteps are calibrated fine. Might be that with the original extruder pulley I have is causing to much grinding on the filament.
Yesterday I received a MK8 pulley so I'll test if I can reduce the grinding with that setup.

Regards Richard
Opa's bester Rat: Probieren geht über Studieren, Grandpas best advice: the proof of the pudding is in the eating

QBall

Post by QBall » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:30 pm

Thanks for your reply!
As adhesion I use hair spray. At the beginning the bonds between the first and second layer were quite weak and stringy. So I added some extra extrusion and heat. That helped.
From time to time I also some problems with the extruder. At the moment I use a BowdenExtruder with an E3D v6. Normally it works fine, but from time to time it sounds like the extruder is skipping steps (to high resistance ? I don't know). I'm thinking of switching to an direkt extruder.

oakdesign

Post by oakdesign » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:48 pm

I changed to the bowden drive is I'm trying to start with Nylon and from all readings Nylon is quite prone to moisture, so with a Bowden I can ensure a fully enclosed way from an air sealed spool box all the way through PTFE tube to the hotend.

As for PETG on glass use hair spray to. It's not normal hair spray but Got2b Glued Blasting Freeze Spray that I had laying around from last
carnival. :mrgreen:

As I already wrote in the software section I quickly realized that it is essential to take proper notes of the settings of every print to be able to at least have a way to compare all slicer related influences on a print.

As I have received proximity sensors yesterday I'll first do auto level/tramming and then go on with my scientific PETG test series.

Regards Richard
Opa's bester Rat: Probieren geht über Studieren, Grandpas best advice: the proof of the pudding is in the eating

QBall

Post by QBall » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:09 pm

Yea! Sounds like a good idea, to note all slic3r settings. I'm messing arround with the parameters and sometimes forget which one I changed :?

I love my proximity sensors a lot :-D It took some time to get the right settings, but now it works like a charm. It also really helps to get comparably first layers.