Trimmer Line as Filament?

Materials, Materials, Materials!
oakdesign

Trimmer Line as Filament?

Post by oakdesign » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:02 am

Last week I was in our local DIY Store and in the garden section recognized 1.6mm nylon trimmer line, which looked like Filament to me.
Back home I googled a bit just to find out that some people have already used those nylon trimmer lines as filament replacement with success.

Has anybody already tried it and if yes with trimmer line brand or type have you used.

Just from my quick research showed that there are trimmer line with glass fiber or even alu reinforcement.
As with my only 4 weeks experience I think I might have to order some hardened nozzle first and than start testing with just some short 10-15 m as probes.

Regards Richard
Opa's bester Rat: Probieren geht über Studieren, Grandpas best advice: the proof of the pudding is in the eating

oakdesign

Re: Trimmer Line as Filament?

Post by oakdesign » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:10 pm

So just update to my question.

As I couldn't find a filament store where I could buy 50g probes of Nylon filament I just gave the Trimmer Line a try.
For testing I bought 15m 1.6mm for about 3.19€. Calculated up to a price/kg there might be cheaper Nylons but at least a place to start with. Next the thing I intend to print are that small that 15m are well enough for testing and printing my thing.

Ok first I measured the diameter random at 30 spots and to my surprise the mean dia was 1.65mm with a max. deviation of 0.05mm.
I decided to split my test into using the Trimmer Line as is and in a second series dried.
Undryed I printed from 190 up to 250. Only above 230 I got adhesion between layers, below layers fell apart while taking off the bed.
To my surprise the 1st layer adhesion with plain glass with only a bit hairspray is pretty good.
Above 230 Moisture steaming was cleary recognizable by steaming noise and the finished print with beeing milky white instead of shiny (the trimmer line nylon is transparent)

My last test so far was schock resitance and stiffness which made me really happy as I got the resluts I was looking for. Just a simple 20x20x20 mm cube with 0.8mm wall, 2 bottom and 2 top layers and 20% infill. I treated the cube by pressing it in a large 150mm benchtop vice and with a 500g steel hammer. It deformed by a few mm in the vice and I wasn't able to crack or destroy it with the hammer.

I expect to get even better result with the dryed one.

At least for me in my the field of application (mechanical replacement parts Oldtimer motorcyles) the use of those trimmer lines instead of dedicated Filament is proved to be working

Regards Richard
Opa's bester Rat: Probieren geht über Studieren, Grandpas best advice: the proof of the pudding is in the eating

LKM

Post by LKM » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:57 pm

How consistent did you find the diameter to be?

oakdesign

Post by oakdesign » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:17 pm

I bought 2 different 15m rolls from german DIY stores Hagebau and Obi.
I don't have any kind of measurement mechnism to check on the whole lenght.
I took 30 random reading with digital calipers over the whole 15m lenght. Both Trimmer lines were rated as 1.6mm.
From 30 readings 20 were 1.65mm with a deviation of max 0.01mm 5 readings with a deviation between +0.03 and 0.05mm. At least even better as the 15m Chinesium Filament that has been delivered with my Printer.

I didn't print any calibration stuff, but real stuff. A M10x1 Banjo Screw (hole for letting air pressure through) for a 2 Stroke Engine.
On the picture left from PLA right with Trimmer Nylon. Both printed at a layer height of 0.1mm. The dirt contamination is because I had already screwed them into an old/dirty engine block to test the thread fit.
I was quite impressed as the screws fit perfect into the thread on the engine block.
Next I did a torque test. The PLA Screw broke at a torque of about 5Nm. I wasn't able to break the Nylon Screw as at about 3-4Nm ist starts to warp bend itself. I printed the same screw in PETG, too. PETG had a break point a bit lower than PLA but might be a bit more heat resistend.

Yesterday I received another set of Filaments ASA, ABS, TPU (no i won't print a screw from TPU :D ) and will test them.

For my field of application the Trimmer Line Nylon gives me the material characteristics I need. As for the moment I only need for example a handfull of those Oil Screws I don't see the need to buy a spool of Nylon filament.