Using baked PLA for Dolly

Materials, Materials, Materials!
Misprint

Using baked PLA for Dolly

Post by Misprint » Mon May 29, 2017 5:40 pm

Hi,

my first Dolly is almost up and running.

But now I am thinking about stage two as shipping from China takes ages.

I want to build a second Dolly with a bowden setup (seems to be the natural evoloution, giggidy) and was wandering if one could use the baking method to pimp PLA to a working condition. In Tom's video the stuff was as good as ABS especially in case of temperatures. I was wandering what you guys think of that idea.

Misprint

Robin

Re: Using baked PLA for Dolly

Post by Robin » Tue May 30, 2017 7:56 pm

The Problem with annealing PLA is that the dimensions will change during the process. You may be able to compensate for it in the slicer to a certain extent, but I suspect that depending on your oven, the particular PLA and other possible unforeseen changes predicting the exact change in the PLA is going to be very hard.

Get that dialled in, and maybe its worth it, however is it worth the hassle of just using ABS or PETG? that I am not sure :)

Misprint

Re: Using baked PLA for Dolly

Post by Misprint » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:36 pm

Sure, it will be some work but I think it is kind of interesting to see what PLA can do. I will build a heated chamber and want to print some other stuff later on beyond 300°C. But PLA has a special role as it is not on a mineral oil base. And may be in 20 years stuff like that will be the only thing we have got left.