BE AWARE with Chinese Fysetc TMC2130

Electronics, Components etc
oakdesign

BE AWARE with Chinese Fysetc TMC2130

Post by oakdesign » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:03 pm

In the past weeks I had quite a lot of ongoing discussion with people having trouble setting up TMC2130 drivers they ordered from China. As I own the watterott ones for quite a time now I inspected the Chinese ones to find a few issues to get them to work proberly.
A) watterott TMC2130 come with the SPI bridge open so are ready to go in SPI mode. Most Chinese ones have the SPI bridge either closed with a solder pont or a SMD resistor.

The function of the solder bridges for CFG4 and CFG5 depends on the overall Mode. In standalone mode they operate in a tristate either Open/GND/VIO and as set on the watterott shoulb be CFG4->GND and CFG5->VIO as so the chopper timing setting is set for most common use and will work in either spreadcycle and stealthchop mode (like as a TMC2100 would operate). CFG4: SETS CHOPPER HYSTERESIS, CFG5: SETS CHOPPER BLANK TIME (DURATION OF BLANKING OF SWITCHING SPIKE)

If the driver operates in SPI Step/DIR mode the CFG4->GND disables dcStep backfeed. This is vital to be able to use stallguard and sensorless homing. As if CFG4 left open as on the Chinese would require an external driver module to handle the stallguard2 and won't operate correctly with the Marlin included TMC2130Stepper library.

Opa's bester Rat: Probieren geht über Studieren, Grandpas best advice: the proof of the pudding is in the eating

slippyr4

Re: BE AWARE with Chinese Fysetc TMC2130

Post by slippyr4 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:58 am

My FYSETC had a 0 ohm resistor in the spi bridge. I’ve removed it and used a blob of solder to bridge CFG4 and it works as it should.

However, the other thing that I think will be a problem is that there is silkscreen over the top of the thermal vias under where the heat sink should go. This will significantly reduce cooling performance; I’m going to have to carefully scratch it off.

The difficulty of these mods (the CFG4 bridge is quite hard, it’s tiny) plus the cooling issue means I really do not think the FYSETC ones are good value; buy the genuine Watterott ones!!
969BC87F-D39F-4D5C-80B6-DEC1F8687CAC.jpeg
969BC87F-D39F-4D5C-80B6-DEC1F8687CAC.jpeg (402.24 KiB) Viewed 7120 times
Self-built Prusa i3 MK2 clone
My things: https://www.thingiverse.com/slippyr4/designs
My Prusa firmware port for ramps & MKS : https://github.com/slippyr4/Prusa-Firmware

oakdesign

Post by oakdesign » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:39 am

Same goes for the Fysetc TMC2100. Even worse are all MKS drivers with TMC Chip.
The only non Watterott I'm aware that is setup yo work out of the box / as intended are the Fysetc TMC2208
Opa's bester Rat: Probieren geht über Studieren, Grandpas best advice: the proof of the pudding is in the eating

davidtriune

Post by davidtriune » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:34 am

I'm having issues setting this fysetc up,
1. the vref only goes from 0.0-0.2 on mine. what the heck?
2. motors stutter. didn't have that before on older drivers
Didn't change pins or anything. Anyone have these issues?

davidtriune

Post by davidtriune » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:42 am

ah nevermind, just had to pop the pins underneath. all is good.

brian.ipsen

Post by brian.ipsen » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:52 pm

@oakdesign - jsut to be sure - will the Fysetc TMC2208 stepstick work out of the box in UART mode, if I just pull the PDN pin up and connect my microcontroller to this pin?
- Or is additional soldering required on one of the jumper/solderpads on the stepstick ?