Better mounting of cables to hotbed

Electronics, Components etc
geepio

Better mounting of cables to hotbed

Post by geepio » Sun May 27, 2018 4:28 pm

Recently one of the wires to my heated bed broke, i had luck, my printer recognized the failed heating.
I removed the insulation to see how exactly the wire broke.
It seems that from factory the solder creeped up in the wire and made it unflexible.
Is there a Way to maybe use screw-terminals or some other solderless connection?

Rui

Re: Better mounting of cables to hotbed

Post by Rui » Sun May 27, 2018 5:53 pm

Maybe regular maintenance and a zip tie to tie the cable to an adjustment screw in the bed?
Last edited by Rui on Sun May 27, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geepio

Post by geepio » Sun May 27, 2018 6:45 pm

@Rui the original cable was too short to fix it to something, but since i will replace it i can increase the slack aswell, good point.

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Sun May 27, 2018 6:58 pm

Hi geepio,

Generally I wouldn't let the electrical connection be the mechanical connection as well. See if you can attach the wire to the bed a little further down from the solder point. Rui's suggestion of zip ties is a good start. Mine are zip tied to the y-frame.

-Stefan

geepio

Post by geepio » Sun May 27, 2018 7:09 pm

@Stefan,
yes, i don't really want to ziptie to the screws, but i could attach a printed clip to the y-Platform (acrylic) and then fix the cable to that.
I could flip the direction of the wires, so that they face inwards and then make a 180° Turn (to avoid an S-shape) and attach the cable to the Platform.
Then i could put a Spring on the part that goes outwards to make a flexible reinforcement.