Hotend not holding temperature

Electronics, Components etc
yolosnail

Hotend not holding temperature

Post by yolosnail » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:39 pm

So I recently got back into using my A8 (don't judge, it was super cheap and I'm probably going to get an Ender 3 soon) and the hotend is not holding temperature any more. No matter what I set the temperature to, as soon as I start printing the temperature drops to 170c and stays there.
The hotend is a cheap E3D clone that I got on Amazon as I needed a quick replacement for the stock one when it failed and it's been working perfectly fine for months.
What could be the reason for this? I know you're probably going to blame the PSU first but that was the first thing I replaced after the first one literally exploded within an hour of building the printer.
I know I can return the hotend and get a refund from Amazon, but I don't want to do that until I know it's what's causing the problem.
Is there anything I can do to test it short of just buying a new hotend and seeing if it works?

Stefan

Re: Hotend not holding temperature

Post by Stefan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:23 pm

Hi yolosnail,

Does the temperature drop on the second layer? The cartridge may not be able to compensate for the parts cooling fan. You may be able to readjust your PIDs for the hotend.

-Stefan

Moorviper

Re: Hotend not holding temperature

Post by Moorviper » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:21 am

Which temperature have you set in slicer ? 170°C?
otherwise a silicone sock helps for the drop when the fan turns on