Hotend Problems (advice needed)

Electronics, Components etc
dan3008

Hotend Problems (advice needed)

Post by dan3008 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:14 pm

So, when buying the parts for my printer, I thought I'd be smart and buy a dirt cheap direct drive hotend & extruder combo... now, just over a year later, I'm more knowledgeable, and realise how much of a mistake I made.
The hotend I got was one like this one. When printing with PLA, its ok most the time. But move to print anything hotter, and it clogs like crazy.

so, I guess its time for an upgrade (actually, its over due an upgrade, but yeh... lol) Any advice on how to either fix this, or if I should just upgrade to something a bit better?
thanks

dan

PartTimeRonin

Re: Hotend Problems (advice needed)

Post by PartTimeRonin » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:00 pm

If money is no issue then E3D Titan Aero kit with pancake stepper motor is a good choice.
Also Bondtech BMG with E3D V6 as well.

If you're on a tight budget then maybe use Dolly i3 carriage and buy some cheap MK8 hobb gear with good E3D V6 clone.(You are on your own on this one since clone quality vary a lot, some are complete garbage while other might work really well)

dan3008

Re: Hotend Problems (advice needed)

Post by dan3008 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:44 pm

I was coming to the same conclusion about just replace it.

" E3D Titan Aero kit" :lol: that costs almost as much as the rest of my printer put together :lol:

I was looking at e3d clones, looks like if i go down that rout, I'll be moving to a bowden rather than direct drive. Actually an upgrade I was considering anyway, since I only print in PLA and would like to add abs and similar to my line up.

I might yet get an original V6, since I dont want to end up with a mountain of sub standard hotends lol