Lines in print. Stepper resolution problem?

Electronics, Components etc
Marnus

Re: Lines in print. Stepper resolution problem?

Post by Marnus » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:44 pm

yes still those original polymer bearings.....are they the cause ?

Marnus

Post by Marnus » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:45 pm

yes still those original polymer bearings....are they the cause ?

FranJans

Post by FranJans » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:48 pm

Yes. Without any doubt!
There is a lot of pressure on those bearings due to the belt tension. This creates a large amount of friction in those bearings leading to a lot of belt stretch when moving the XY axis. It is essential to replace these bearings with flanged ball bearings. You might have to remove some of the paint in the hole. But otherwise it is a perfect fit. This is very easy to fix.

Marnus

Post by Marnus » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:57 pm

You have no idea how thankful I am for your advice, I was on my way of chopping up the printer. My layers are high quality so I wish I had advice for your problem...maybe switching to ramps controller like I did.

FranJans

Post by FranJans » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:15 pm

Your welcome ;)

I doubt my issues are caused by the stepper controller. Keep in mind, my Z axis is not that bad. I recently successfully printed the top of a part in a layer height of 15um! :shock: The top of the part was like the top of a ball. Slightly curved. I didn't like the staircase look when printing at normal layer height. So I slowly reduced the layer height until I reached the physical limit of the stepper motor. I was absolutely shocked that I reached the 15um limit and still got perfect results! Sadly enough I can only print the top of the part (1mm) with such resolution. The print looks terrible when I print the last 10mm with this resolution.

There are problems with my Z axis. The grease is always black. If I replace the grease it turns black really fast. There is a lot of were in my spindle. Probably caused by bad alignment and a bend threaded rod.