Quesion: MKS GEN 1.4 Wiring

Electronics, Components etc
mesnik

Quesion: MKS GEN 1.4 Wiring

Post by mesnik » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:12 pm

Hello there! I have on order an MKS GEN 1.4, TMC2130s and a full graphics LCD that should be arriving soon... Man! Ordered last year, what the heck?!

So, while the goodies don't get here, I am educating myself on how to hook all up together.

I found a few schematics showing how to wire all up, and was wondering if someone could vouch for this one. I was surprised to see I only need 4 drivers (yep, ordered 5!) by looking at this and some other ones. I only have one extruder... I added some missing labels.

Also, I am currently running an Anet 1.0 and have an external mosfet for the bed. Should I keep the mosfet with this new set up, or that was more of an insurance needed since some of those boards were catching on fire?

Thanks for checking it out!!

Happy New Year,
Roberto
Attachments
MKS_GEN_14_Wiring.JPG
MKS_GEN_14_Wiring.JPG (115.1 KiB) Viewed 8891 times

chumm

Re: Quesion: MKS GEN 1.4 Wiring

Post by chumm » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:44 am

That's mostly correct. The "Drivers temperature sensor" is where the heatbed temperature sensor should be plugged in. As far as I know most printers don't bother with a temperature sensor on the drivers.

It shows the case fan and hotend fan as being wired together on a single pair of pins, but all three sets of pins in that section are 12v so you can just plug fans in individually. The set of pins to the right of the 12v in this picture is 5v, so you can power a raspberry pi or whatever else from there.

It's definitely still worth using an external MOSFET to play it safe, it'll be much easier to cool if it's got a nice big heatsink on it.

The aux (LCD) ports on the two MKS-GENs that I've used have the housing for the cables backwards, so the tab on the LCD plug doesn't fit into the slot correctly. This may differ with different manufacturers (mine is BIGTREETECH) but if you're having issues getting the LCD to work, try flipping the plugs. This will probably require snipping off the tab on the plugs.

If you have 2 Z motors, you'll want to run them in series to be able to plug into a single driver that has the vref tuned the same as the other drivers. Here's a guide on how to make an adapter to do that:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Wiring- ... in-Series/

There'll be more wiring to do with the TMC2130s I think, there's a few threads here recently that go into details on them.

mesnik

Post by mesnik » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:17 am

THANKS for all the great and mostly appreciated information!! Us mechanical engineers "love" electrical projects... Solder? No problem, just need to know where!!! HAHAHAH

Okay, will keep the mosfet. Use the "drivers" for the bed temp sensor and keep an eye out for the reversed LCD plugs.

And yes, I do have the two Z motors and will follow your link to see how they go together. I was wondering about that!!

And finally the TMCs... yeah, I think I know what to do... one side of the board takes the full 8-pin rack and the other side needs to have them snipped and some soldered one on side and some on the other side, right? I have pics of those.

Thanks again for the feedback!!!

mesnik

Post by mesnik » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:26 am

Following the link, someone posted using the second extruder port for the second Z and customizing the firmware...

Would that be better than hooking up both motors together?

TIA

slippyr4

Post by slippyr4 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:26 am

My personal order of preference would be:

Two Z in series on one driver (BEST)
Z in separate driver with DUAL Z in marlin
Two Z in parallel

Also, I’d put the hot end cooling fan in the E2 mosfet output, then you can have it switch on and off automatically (setup for this is in config_advanced)
Self-built Prusa i3 MK2 clone
My things: https://www.thingiverse.com/slippyr4/designs
My Prusa firmware port for ramps & MKS : https://github.com/slippyr4/Prusa-Firmware

mesnik

Post by mesnik » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:39 am

Thanks for the feedback, again!

So I will go with the series, one driver.

And I like to be able to turn off that Hotend fan and run forever! Okay, config_advanced. I will come back for this one...

My components will be here tomorrow and Thursday. Today I got a new bed, the Anycubic Ultrabase... THAT IS nice!!!

Take care.

ksmsoft

Post by ksmsoft » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:08 pm

slippyr4 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:26 am
Two Z in series on one driver (BEST)
I'm not disagreeing and don't have any evidence to make an argument in favour of series or parallel dual motors.

However I just bought a new Rumba board, and it advises that dual Z steppers are wired in parallel (not serial). See the wiring diagram halfway down the page below:

http://reprap.org/wiki/RUMBA

slippyr4

Post by slippyr4 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:16 pm

ksmsoft wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:08 pm
However I just bought a new Rumba board, and it advises that dual Z steppers are wired in parallel (not serial).
Possibly for several reasons:-
  • If they put two Z connectors in series on the board, You'd HAVE to use two motors or neither would work. Putting two parallel connectors means you can use one, or both, and it will work
  • The downside of series motors is that you need enough power supply voltage headroom to get the required current through the motors. For common reprap sizes NEMA 17 motors on 12V it's not really a problen, but if your motor isn't ideal then you might start to have problems at 12V
Self-built Prusa i3 MK2 clone
My things: https://www.thingiverse.com/slippyr4/designs
My Prusa firmware port for ramps & MKS : https://github.com/slippyr4/Prusa-Firmware