tmc 2130 for newby

Electronics, Components etc
Peter

tmc 2130 for newby

Post by Peter » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:15 pm

Hi! I have just finished a"Dolly"(Prusa mk3 rework clone). Arduino Mega2680, Ramps 1.4. It is my first 3D printer.
I purchased 4 TMC2130 from Watterott, soldered SD0,SCK and SD1 on the LCD header (AUX3),
(A bracket pluged on the Atmega2680 ICSP header should be nicer has shown on hardware-f6/ramps-tmc2130s-and-lcd-t348.html)
DEFINE X_CS_PIN 64 DEFINE Y_CS_PIN 44 in pins_RAMPS.h file to plug the CS_pins X and Y on AUX2 pin 64 for X and 44 for Y.

X, Y and E0 work fine. Z is not. I must increase the current to 1Amp. The TMC goes very hight in temperature and shut down.
I'll try to glue a heatsink with thermal glue has double sided tape seem not to work (bad tape?)
The motors I use are nema 17SH4401 1.7A, 0.42Nm.

Diag1 Z driver is connected to ZMIN_PLUG (S) (Don't work at all for probing)
I have a Z min mechanical endstop too connected to the Z max plug
Should I uncomment //#define USE_ZMAX_PLUG in Endstop Settings @section homing and Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP in Z probe options?

Doesn't work too!

oakdesign

Re: tmc 2130 for newby

Post by oakdesign » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:10 pm

First you shouldn't use sensorless homing on Z min on a carthsian printer as with the threaded rods you apply to much torque and might damage your hotend. Second if you have dual stepper on Z you might think on wiring them in series instead of parallel.
Have you configurea dto run the TMC2130 in spreadcycle,stealthchop or hybrid mode?
Opa's bester Rat: Probieren geht über Studieren, Grandpas best advice: the proof of the pudding is in the eating

Peter

Post by Peter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:05 am

I'am in stealthchop mode only. I have tried sensorless z homing once and have destroyer the bed☺. I put a mechanical endstop for z min pluged on the z max plug, near the diag 1 wire from the z driver but trigering it don't stop the z axis to lower. I will wire the motors on series tomorrow !

oakdesign

Post by oakdesign » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:22 am

Which Firmware are you on? Sensorless Homeing requires the the TMC2130 to be in spreadcycle Mode. So not exclusevely but at least for the homeing process. In stealthchop sensoless homing won't work at all.
In Marlin the switch to spreadcycle for Homing is integrated for X and Y if setup correctly in SPI mode. The following i part of the Marling homing function, so only for X and Y the Sensorless Homing is implemented

Code: Select all

// Disable stealthChop if used. Enable diag1 pin on driver.
  #if ENABLED(SENSORLESS_HOMING)
    #if ENABLED(X_IS_TMC2130)
      if (axis == X_AXIS) tmc_sensorless_homing(stepperX);
    #endif
    #if ENABLED(Y_IS_TMC2130)
      if (axis == Y_AXIS) tmc_sensorless_homing(stepperY);
    #endif
  #endif
Opa's bester Rat: Probieren geht über Studieren, Grandpas best advice: the proof of the pudding is in the eating

Peter

Post by Peter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:38 pm

I use Marlin 1.1.8 with thoses settings:
In configuration.h
#define Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP has I have a mechanical switch (not a probe) pluged in Z_MAX_endstop plug (Z_min is used by diag1 Z driver)
#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER for the LCD
In configuration_adv.h
#define HAVE_TMC2130 for X, Y, Z and E0
#define Z_CURRENT 1000
#define STEALTHCHOP
#define MONITOR_DRIVER_STATUS even if I don't know if it is usefull
#define SENSORLESS_HOMING Work fine with X and Y
#define TMC_DEBUG
#define TMC_ADV() { }
in pins_RAMPS.h file
DEFINE X_CS_PIN 64 DEFINE Y_CS_PIN 44
//#define E1_CS_PIN 44 disabled

I think anything else is untouched.

I wired the Z motors in series with a thing that look like that: ['/.'/.] found on numerous sites. checked with a multimeter.
One motor stay stalled loosing steps and the other turn with the same noise has the parallel setup.

Peter

Post by Peter » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:44 pm

I glued heatsinks to the X, Y and Z drivers with arctic silver 2 component glue (not electicaly conductive). Rewired all together carefully aaand! Nothing moves anymore! sometime I have X enstop or driver error on the lcd. I upgraded to the new TMC 2130 library from today, recompile and it is the same. I think to move to a cave, make fire with two sticks of wood and hunt teddy bear with a spear...

Peter

Post by Peter » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:12 pm

Oups! Sorry guys! I didn't check enough! Two solders on the spi header where broken!
Now the Z axis can make noise again. 1Amp, High pitch no move in parallel has in series...
Better with less current, moves in parallel (only one motor in sreies)

Peter

Post by Peter » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:39 pm

Hooray! I found! It 's neither the wiring nor the current, it is the "DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE" in marlin. Set at 3mm/sec the Z axis now moves smoothly, motors wired in parallel because in series, one motor or the other take all the current and turn, depend on their mood!

BasM.

Post by BasM. » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:46 am

Thanks for the information, helped me out having the same issue.