TMC2130 w/LCD

Electronics, Components etc
3DEnthusiast

TMC2130 w/LCD

Post by 3DEnthusiast » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:40 am

Greetings again!
I picked up some TMC2130's for my X and Y axis. I have not installed them yet but I was curious about how to actually change which pins get used as I like my LCD I am currently running; mainly because it allows me to do some real time checks and such instead of only working through Octoprint.

What pins would be suggested alternatives?
How would I go about changing them? (I know probably in pins.h or rampspins.h but specifically where and what)
I've attached heatsinks to them but is there a recommended thermal adhesive?

Also, in Marlin when compiling the firmware to be added, I get an error message that goes away when I remove #include <TMC2130Stepper_REGDEFS.h>

Help?

Thanks!

Edi

Re: TMC2130 w/LCD

Post by Edi » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:15 pm

i just changed the pins for the x and y axis to the e0 and e1 pins which are pins 42 and 44. This is done in pins_RAMPS.h if you use ramps board. I also commented out define E0 and E1 CS pins just to be sure. My lcd works with no problems but i can't use the sd card because i get errors which disable the drivers. I haven't still figured out why it happens but it looks like the sd card overdrives the SPI bus.

slippyr4

Post by slippyr4 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:49 am

The LCD doesn’t use the hardware SPI port (on a reprapdiscount character lcd it’s a 4bit parallel interface, on the graphic LCD it’s software sort-of SPI). The real SPI pins go to the SD card.

If you have SPI issues with the SD card then you probably have a problem with the CS line either to the SD card itself or to one or more of your stepper drivers. They really ought to all work together if connected right.
Self-built Prusa i3 MK2 clone
My things: https://www.thingiverse.com/slippyr4/designs
My Prusa firmware port for ramps & MKS : https://github.com/slippyr4/Prusa-Firmware

3DEnthusiast

Post by 3DEnthusiast » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:11 pm

I'm not currently using the TMC2130 drivers and I still have issues when trying to access my SDcard. It forces the printer to reset so I don't really use the SD Card anyway. I was more concerned that, since I use the Reprap Discount Full Graphics LCD, that it would cause some problem with the TMC2130. So I can just use E0 and E1. In which block of pins does that exist?

What pins could be used from other banks in order to minimize my need to solder onto the LCD add-on card?

Edi

Post by Edi » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:44 am

Look at this a bit and compare it with your pins_Ramps.h file.
http://reprap.org/wiki/File:Arduinomega ... ectors.png

You have plenty of digital pins available for the CS pins, i just used E0 and E1 pins because I still wont use tmc on the extruder. Just make sure your they do not collide with other pins. I just soldered the 3 SPI pins to the adapter PCB
Today I had some success with the tmc2130 drivers, no overheating errors but still some skipped steps in stealthchop(probably due to high acceleration) so i had to use spreadcycle. I had also luck with the sd card: some menu items showed but I couldn't start a print from sd.

roosevelt155

Post by roosevelt155 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:48 am

I am using the Marlin Configuration Tool to set up Marlin 2.0 for my Cohesion3D Remix (32bit-like Smoothieboard). I am also interested in changing the SPI pins for the TMC2130. Any idea how to do this in the Marlin Configurator?