Trouble with MKS GEN 1.4 and TMC2130

Electronics, Components etc
dmitri.barski

Trouble with MKS GEN 1.4 and TMC2130

Post by dmitri.barski » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:49 pm

Hi guys,

I received a MKS GEN 1.4 and TMC2130 steppers for it and still have issues I am trying to resolve.

Ordered both at FYSETC, plugged in - nothing worked. Every now and then "Driver error" crashes (especially when I went near the SD card), but otherwise - nothing.

Replaced the FYSETC drivers by Watterott ones - no change.

I tried with and without SPI connected - no stepper motor moves when I connect it through a TMC2130. Unfortunately, no way to plug new steppers into the old board or vice versa (old board is MKS Base 1.4 with onboard drivers).

I heard that TMC2130s are most happy at 28V - my printer runs 24V, so should be pretty comfortable for them.

I was able to get rid of "driver errors" by disabling "Monitor driver status", so basically disabling sensorless homing.

Now with SM being 2nd priority, my focus was to get the damn thing running.

No matter what I tried - FYSETC drivers, Watterott drivers, with or without SPI - I was not able to get any stepper to do a single step, so I got out my multimeter and tried to measure the voltage - and got a huge surprise, since all of the pins of every motor were powered with 24.4V.

Any idea what is going on there?

Thanks in advance
Best regards
Dmitri

oakdesign

Re: Trouble with MKS GEN 1.4 and TMC2130

Post by oakdesign » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:25 pm

As you are saying with and without SPI. The mode is not just switchable by plugging or unplugging SPI cables. For SPI mode the SPI solder Bridge has to be open for standalone it has to be closed.
Which Version of Firmware are you using. For getting into the TMC world you might consider to start with one of the exampe Sketches from the 2130 Driver library insted a full Firmware Installation.
On the MKS are you using Hardware SPI pins MISO,MOSI,SDK? As These are nown to be conflicting with the SD Card on These board, so one might consider of using at least Marlin 1.1.8 where SW_SPI was intruduced

Regards Richard
Opa's bester Rat: Probieren geht über Studieren, Grandpas best advice: the proof of the pudding is in the eating

oakdesign

Post by oakdesign » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:28 pm

dmitri.barski wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:49 pm
and got a huge surprise, since all of the pins of every motor were powered with 24.4V.
That's not a huge surprise that just what you would expect if you are running a 24V system and chopper mode drivers

Regards Richard
Opa's bester Rat: Probieren geht über Studieren, Grandpas best advice: the proof of the pudding is in the eating

dmitri.barski

Post by dmitri.barski » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:31 pm

oakdesign wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:28 pm
dmitri.barski wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:49 pm
and got a huge surprise, since all of the pins of every motor were powered with 24.4V.
That's not a huge surprise that just what you would expect if you are running a 24V system and chopper mode drivers

Regards Richard
Hmmm - is MKS Base built differently then? Because it has measurable different voltage on the motor input....

dmitri.barski

Post by dmitri.barski » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:36 pm

oakdesign wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:25 pm
As you are saying with and without SPI. The mode is not just switchable by plugging or unplugging SPI cables. For SPI mode the SPI solder Bridge has to be open for standalone it has to be closed.
It is open on all the drivers. Don't they work without SPI at all if the bridge is open? Or can't you just change voltage etc?
Which Version of Firmware are you using.
Tried Marlin 1.1.8 and 2.0 (not the "bugfix-" versions). Will try the bugfix versions on the weekend.
For getting into the TMC world you might consider to start with one of the exampe Sketches from the 2130 Driver library insted a full Firmware Installation.

On the MKS are you using Hardware SPI pins MISO,MOSI,SDK? As These are nown to be conflicting with the SD Card on These board, so one might consider of using at least Marlin 1.1.8 where SW_SPI was intruduced

Regards Richard
I did use 1.1.8 and 2.0, but did not go near the SW_SPI, will try that.

Thanks!

oakdesign

Post by oakdesign » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:00 pm

Tried Marlin 1.1.8 and 2.0 (not the "bugfix-" versions). Will try the bugfix versions on the weekend.
2.0.x there is only the bugfix version as 2.0 is not officially released yet

dmitri.barski

Post by dmitri.barski » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:53 pm

Figured it out now - had to remap the pins, to a wild mix of default and "suggested by the vendor".

Now fighting thermal instabilities of the board, the thermistor is jumping +-10°C...

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:18 pm

Hi Dmitri,

When you say "thermal instabilities", do you believe the reading is wrong or the temperature is actually jumping around?

Adjusting the PIDs in configuration.h may help stabilize the temperature. The comments in the file actually tell you the g code command to run the test. Be sure to run the test as if you were printing; that is, if you plan on using a cooling fan, run the cooling fan during the test.

-Stefan

dmitri.barski

Post by dmitri.barski » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:09 am

Hi Stefan,

I am pretty sure it is physically impossible for the temperature to jump from around 265°C to 245°C and back within a second, so I am pretty sure it is the measurement. After tuning PID on the hotend, the temperature got better (more stable).

Other issues show up though - occasional driver errors, sometimes prewarned by "overtemperature", sometimes without any reason.

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:09 am

Heya Dmitri,

Ok, you may have a loose wire on the thermistor. Check carefully around the can; I've seen them fray right at that point.

As for the drivers, I was getting prewarnings and shutdowns at 650mA (12V). Good heatsinks and a Noctua fan solved that. They no longer complain.

-Stefan