Type-K Thermocouple with AD8495 (?) on Smoothie board shows 629c!!

Electronics, Components etc
DaHaiZhu

Type-K Thermocouple with AD8495 (?) on Smoothie board shows 629c!!

Post by DaHaiZhu » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:03 pm

Hi, need some help. I have a Axteeg X5 GT board with their TC8495-1 (AD8495?) ADC Thermocouple board and a Type-K Thermocouple.
I have it set up with 5v+ and GND and the Data pin on 1.20 of the Azteeg board.
In Smoothieware, I have it configued as this:

Code: Select all

temperature_control.hotend.enable            true             
temperature_control.hotend.heater_pin        2.4              
temperature_control.hotend.sensor            ad8495           
temperature_control.hotend.ad8495_pin        1.20            
temperature_control.hotend.ad8495_offset     0           
But the Display shows 629c(!!) for the hot-end temperature.
The Smoothieware documentation says it should be 0 for the offset if the ad8495 is grounded (which it is), or 250 for the offset if not.
Even with a 250 offset, I still get a rediculous reading.
And asking Panucatt for support is like talking to a dead tree. I've been waiting over a month...even with repeated emails, support tickets and web page feedback...

Hope someone can help me out here.

DaHaiZhu

Re: Type-K Thermocouple with AD8495 (?) on Smoothie board shows 629c!!

Post by DaHaiZhu » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:28 am

Here's an update.
I posted this on the Smoothieware Google Group as well and got a quick response.
It appears that board the AD8495 (or Panucatt TC8495-1) are only supposed to be powered by 3.3v
Which kinda makes sense.
If I'm doing the math right, a 0 offset with (5/3.3) * 250(required offset) + 250 = ~629c
So if I power it with 3.3v to avoid the voltage multiplication and then apply the 250 offset, I should get 26c (room temperature).

But, I also need to say that if you are looking for after sales support from your board manufacturer, then avoid Panucatt.
I've been trying to get a response to two simple questions from them for two months now, and nothing:
1. What are the connector types used on the X5 GT for the endstops (they are non-standard)
2. How to wire and configure the TC8495-1 Themocouple Adapter

I've tried through their Website support page, feedback pages, & emails.
On their feedback page, I only get responses that their 'web site ticketing system is having problems' (for two months now?) and then they create a web-site support ticket for me! Wait? What? It doesn't work, so you create a ticket through it anyway???

So unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing, or like seeing SMOKE pour out of your hot-end (yes, mine did that), because the Thermocouple adapter board is wired wrong due to NO instructions, then stay away from Panucatt and buy from someone else.

DaHaiZhu

Re: Type-K Thermocouple with AD8495 (?) on Smoothie board shows 629c!!

Post by DaHaiZhu » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:24 am

Perhaps I hit a nerver as Panucatt finally responded to my latest email to support. From their email, I've drawn up a diagram of the wiring and Smoothieware settings for using their TC8495-1 Themocouple Adapter on the Azteeg X5 GT control board.
Note that I have not yet tested their configuration.
Hope this helps.
Panucatt TC8495-1 Wiring.jpg
Panucatt TC8495-1 Wiring.jpg (131.91 KiB) Viewed 1013 times