Y axis on Marlin with TMC2130 just stopped working.

Electronics, Components etc
RoelVeldhuyzen

Y axis on Marlin with TMC2130 just stopped working.

Post by RoelVeldhuyzen » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:51 pm

I just ran into a weird issue (with a TMC2130?) you guys might be able to shed some light on.
I have a prusa clone (ramps 1.4, marlin 1.1.8) I dropped two 2130's in on the X and Y, a few weeks ago. The machine has an LCD/SD so the SPI's are connected to the same pins as the SD, which shouldn't be an issue since I only print through octopi.
More or less like this guy describes here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4ZD4fx4z_A

Printer worked fine for the past few weeks, no issues whatsoever. (and it was wonderfully quiet ❤️).
Today I turned the printer on, started a job and this happend:
Bed and hotend warm up, printer homes x, printer does nothing for a bit, printer homes z. Printer starts printing a awesome straight line...
The Y axis does nothing at all. But the printer doesn't throw any errors at me, doesn't seem to notice anything is amiss.
Note, I haven't touched or moved the printer since turning it off yesterday. No idea what could be wrong, but I checked some things.

- I swapped the drivers for X and Y. Nothing changed. X works, Y still doesn't. So the 2130 seems to be fine.
- Replugged all the wires, no change.
- Switched out the stepper motor for a good one, didn't move either.
- Reflashed marlin to the board multiple times, no change.
- Plugged in the old driver and turned off the 2130 on the Y axis in Marlin and it prints just fine.

So, the ramps board seems fine, the stepper seems fine, the 2130 seems fine... But something isn't working.
Someone suggested the arduino pin for the Y might have just given up, so I rerouted Y_CS_PIN to a random other one It was on 64, I moved it to 42 and it started workin again. So I figured I fixed it, not sure what went wrong but it was working again. But it's not quite right. The Y axis makes just as much noice now as it did with a regular stepper driver, nowhere near as quiet as it was up until yesterday.

Ani insights on what might be the issue here?

Stefan

Re: Y axis on Marlin with TMC2130 just stopped working.

Post by Stefan » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:47 pm

Hi Roel,

Welcome to the forum. Just a thought on the first part: are you monitoring the temperatures on your drivers? I have a very similar set-up and had a lot of shutdowns initially due to overheating chips. Make sure you have the monitoring turned on in Marlin. In the same manner, check your current and lower it as much as possible while still maintaining function.

Keep us posted.

-Stefan.

RoelVeldhuyzen

Post by RoelVeldhuyzen » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:01 pm

Little update.

I upgraded marlin to 1.1.9 and the original pin I had the Y axis on is stil not working, but other pins work fine and are quiet now as well, unlike with my previous marlin config for some reason, where the Y axis made just as much noice as with a regular stepper driver.

So no idea on the why and how of it all, but for now the printer seems to be working perfectly fine. I'll keep an eye on it and update you guys if anything stops working again.

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:46 pm

Powering those drivers seems to be an art; certain current values make them scream loudly while others keep them quiet. Glad to hear you are up and running again.

-Stefan