Yet another TMC2130 problem

Electronics, Components etc
christopher.theobald

Re: Yet another TMC2130 problem

Post by christopher.theobald » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:36 pm

Thanks, I'll check out those videos when I'm home.

Thanks for the info.

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:16 pm

One more for you, Chris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoKq7XUaGxM

Chris built a Dolly (it's posted on this forum). Like mine, it is 12v with the Trinamic drivers. Moorviper is right about them being a challenge to set up, but it is possible.

-Stefan

christopher.theobald

Post by christopher.theobald » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:22 pm

lots of viewing, but i have watched those videos.

Not sure if i was missing the point, but i didn't get much that i didn't already know from the first 3 videos. I haven't even got the steppers working well enough yet to see if they are whining. If i have missed a clear bit of help here, please feel free to spell it out for me, it's been a hard day at work and my brain is just about limping along.

The second video, raised one concern (I can't remember that if i have disabled SD support - but i will check when i get to my laptop with the Firmware on it).

One thing that seemed to be a resounding message from all videos is that it might be best to go 24v and get some 1 amp steppers. I don't know what comes stock with the anet a8, but it might be better to get some that i know stats on than try and continue with ones that don't might be part of the problem.

All that said, i still feel like there is an error here that i can't clear. As you say getting these working on a 12v system is a challenge, are there any things to check, or be aware of when setting them up on a 12v system? Like common faults?

Not against upgrading to 24v but i want to be sure it will fix the issue, and i wont just get the same error message.

Thanks a lot for your help so far, both of you.

christopher.theobald

Post by christopher.theobald » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:41 pm

I have confirmed that SD support is disabled my firmware. As i use octoprint i don't feel the need for a screen or SD card at the moment.

My printer has an auto bed levelling sensor, according to Chris' basement vid, i shouldn't need to hook up the diag pin to the signal on the endstop. Should this be put elsewhere? or can i just leave it unplugged?

Still lost as to what the error with my Y driver can be. Any more things to check?

christopher.theobald

Post by christopher.theobald » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:26 pm

Update!

I decided to take out the 2130 on the Z. as I figured this was another problem I couldn't be bothered with just yet.

In doing this, the error with the Y has stopped, and both A and Y Axis work.

i am happy enough with this. Thanks for your help!

Now I just need to work out why my PSU has decided to stop working.

Moorviper

Post by Moorviper » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:16 pm

yes normally x+y are enough
z and e are normally not moving that much

only if lift on retract is enabled

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:15 am

Interesting. I've previously noticed that Marlin did not necessarily report the correct driver's error, though I don't know why. My understanding is that the z-steppers should be powered by two drivers rather than one in parallel, especially if running at 12 volts. (I'm using an A4988 on my z-axis and extruder.)

Glad to hear the progress!

-Stefan
Last edited by Stefan on Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

christopher.theobald

Post by christopher.theobald » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:35 am

It is a bit odd as it also seemed to invent an error for the y as when I disabled the monitor line the y axis wouldn't move and just made noise. It might have been a power thing I guess? If they are relatively hungry it would make sense that all I did was reduce the load and it worked.

While it might sound like a cop out I'm going to call this one done and get nack to printing rather than upgrading.

2100 for e and z
2130 for x and y

All should be quiet enough and still give me an element of control.

Plus side, I do have enough spare 2130s to do the same on my resurrected da vinci! So there is a positive!

Once again, thank you, I really appreciate the help.

unixb0y

Post by unixb0y » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:25 am

Hi guys,
I'm replying to this topic as I also have a "sound"-related TMC2130 issue.
In my case, I'm still building my printer so X and Z aren't complete yet, but I did assemble the Y already.
The weird thing is that it's basically quieter in spreadCycle than in stealthChop!
In spreadCycle, you can hear a pretty loud whining noise, but in stealthChop the motor buzzes like crazy at almost the same volume!
Any help is appreciated,
Thanks!
Dave
~ Dave ~

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:34 am

Hi Dave,

The 2130s don't seem to be too quiet if you tell them to go 10mm. I thought I'd done something wrong when I first installed them. They are much quieter when actually printing. Also, bring the current down as much as you can.

-Stefan