Auto home does not take hotbed back

Have an issue you can't figure out on your own?
kraut55

Auto home does not take hotbed back

Post by kraut55 » Fri May 11, 2018 12:55 pm

Hi,
I am a newbie to 3d-printing. I built a Prusa Mk2 clone (made by CTC) and am slowly trying to get the hang of it.
A few days ago a small problem started. Whenever I do an "Auto home" only the extruder assembly returns to the origin. The hotbed stays where it is and I have to manually push it back.

Stefan

Re: Auto home does not take hotbed back

Post by Stefan » Fri May 11, 2018 9:28 pm

Hi kraut55,

Welcome to the forum. Post your config.h. Does the y-axis move with commands or during printing?

-S

kraut55

Post by kraut55 » Sat May 12, 2018 12:21 pm

Hi Stefan,
thank you for the welcome and your fast replay.
Config do you mean the slicer's config? If so, there are so many parameters. Which ones would you need?
As mentioned I am a beginner so there is no g-code that I would send directly to the printer. I usually grab an stl-file, have the slicer do its work, save it to the SD card and insert the card into the printer.
During printing the y-axis moves just fine.
Tks.

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Sun May 13, 2018 3:40 am

Hi kraut55,

I'm referring to a file in your firmware (I'm assuming you are using Marlin). The config.h tells the printer all of the physical parameters of your machine, including how long your y-axis is, where it starts, and where it ends. I have a suspicion they may not be properly configured.

-S

kraut55

Post by kraut55 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:58 pm

Will try to find out how I can access the firmware and will let you know.

kraut55

Post by kraut55 » Wed May 23, 2018 12:33 pm

The LCD does not show any information which firmware/version it uses and the included manual advises not to upgrade the firmware. The board is a 2560 Rev A. Can that be used with different kinds of firmware or is there a dedicated firmware? Sorry but you can see I am completely new to 3d printing.

The problem itself has been solved! For some reason the g-code did not include a "home for all axis". I added a G28 and the hotbed moved on the Y-axis. Wrong direction but I guess I can find out why.

I would appreciate if you could give me some info about the board/firmware in case I should need an update or I would have to apply changes when I try to connect the printer to my Mac.
Thank you.

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Wed May 23, 2018 7:29 pm

Hi kraut55,

You can flip the wiring on the y-axis motor to make it go the right way. There is a USB port on your arduino that allows you to transfer firmware. Visit https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software to find the right version for you. I'm not sure how to read what is already on your board, so unless you can get a copy of the firmware from the original builder, you may need to start with a new version of Marlin. Reversing the direction of your y-axis motor can be done through firmware, too.

Tom has a good video about uploading firmware to an arduino, so I'd check that out.

Keep in mind that G28 not only homes but will also clear autoleveling information stored in RAM. I usually G28 (all home) G29 (get autoleveling data) then M420 S1 (turn on autoleveling). If I G28 again, I have to do the others again. (Note, I G29 after I heat the bed so I get the most accurate readings I can - the bed warps a bit when it gets hot).

-Stefan