Calibration Question?

Have an issue you can't figure out on your own?
JustinF

Calibration Question?

Post by JustinF » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:25 pm

My printer is a dolly copy and I'm off in accuracy in all directions by .2mm it could be a 20mm cube or a 50,100, etc.. it's always .2 greater. I got all of my steps off of the Prusa calculator, but I'm not sure that's where the issue is. My question is has anyone else had this issue and if so how did you correct it? Someone I talked to said it could be the slicer I'm using which is Cura 2.6, but it just doesn't sound right. I've calculated the esteps for the extruder and flow is at 100%, so I'm not sure what else to change. Thanks

ronka

Re: Calibration Question?

Post by ronka » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:50 pm

Hi,
Is your nozzle size correct in the slicer?

JustinF

Post by JustinF » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:48 am

Here are all my Cura 2.6 settings, I'm using a .4 brass nozzle on an e3d clone.
cura macine settings.JPG
cura macine settings.JPG (44.05 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
cura print settings-1.JPG
cura print settings-1.JPG (51.76 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
cura print settings-2.JPG
cura print settings-2.JPG (36.94 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
Thanks for the help

Moorviper

Post by Moorviper » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:59 am

maybe filament 1.74 is the problem ?

JustinF

Post by JustinF » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:26 am

I will try that thanks.

JustinF

Post by JustinF » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:59 pm

Installing an original E3D V6 Hotend fixed the X & The Y but, the Z is still .2 greater. I also changed the filament to 1.75mm so, does any one have any thoughts on what would cause just the Z to be off in .2mm's height? Thanks

chumm

Post by chumm » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:43 pm

Z can be off a static amount like that if your Z offset isn't dialed in correctly. You said this is a Dolly so I assume you're using a Z probe sensor to level the bed? A perfectly positioned sensor will trigger exactly as the nozzle barely touches the bed, but that's really hard to line up, so instead we correct for it in software. You may have already done this while trying to get your first layer to stick in your first prints.

Either way, look at the bottom of your prints. Are the lines that make up the bottom layer clearly visible or are they pressed together to create a solid mass of material? Do the edges of the bottom layer stick out slightly from the rest of the print? If so, your Z may be zeroed a bit low and you can adjust the Z offset to fix it.

That said, printing the first layer slightly low isn't necessarily a bad thing, it can help a ton with getting solid first layer adhesion, and for ABS is often necessary to ensuring the print stays on for the duration.

This video has some very good visual reference for what a properly zeroed bottom layer looks like: