help getting the motors moving

Have an issue you can't figure out on your own?
Sagirokach

Re: help getting the motors moving

Post by Sagirokach » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:22 pm

looks like the Z axis is sort of working now.
but the X and Y don't look as good.... the entire extruder assembly moving hard even when the motor isn't engaged.
can it be the belts? should I try tightening them a bit more?

The Y axis appears to have the same problem.... makes lots of sounds and doesn't move.

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:17 pm

X and Y axes should move smoothly when the power is off. If not, that is probably the cause of your very hot and skipping steppers. Especially if the belts are loose, the carriage and bed should slide easily.

-S

Sagirokach

Post by Sagirokach » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:22 am

the Y moves smoothly, and still skips.... can you think of any other reason why it's still not moving like it should on the Y?
I'll check on the X...

and again thank you so much for staying and helping me. :)

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:09 am

Happy to help. If the bed moves smoothly by hand, turn up the current on that driver. Be sure the belt isn't getting snagged on anything. If it is tighter moving to the front or back, check the squareness of the y-frame.

We'll get ya goin'!

-S

Sagirokach

Post by Sagirokach » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:15 pm

First of all I really appreciate it!

Second of all... I tried upping the current, it's already 90 degrees clockwise from the default position, the frame is squared for sure. when I try to run it from the lcd screen it's working but it won't work from octoprint.... weird....

so that is working....
(thanks! :) )

I saw that the X motor is really held on the side of the wooden frame I bought (cause I bought a bigger one and didn't account for the motor being there.... ) so I'll try removing some of it so the motor will be aligned and then I'll check again (this may take sometime... :( )

but now I tried moving the Z axis and I saw that one of the motors is going up and down as it should while the other isn't, and it's engaged... the one that doesn't move is the one on the side of the x axis motor... so I'll try that as well after relieving the x motor from the frame....

really hoping to do it this weekend.... :roll:

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:30 am

Progress! I think. =)

I've found that one z-axis motor working and the other not is just a loose wire. I've had more bad crimps then I ever care to admit (just did). A trick I use is to double the length of exposed copper, twist, then fold it in half so the pin has more metal to bite down on. Pre-crimped cables save time, but are a crap-shoot.

I've never worked with Octoprint, but am very familiar with Pronterface. You might give it a try, just to rule out stuff.

Both the x-carriage and the y-bed should be able to move freely from stop to stop when the power is off. Just slight "tick-tick-tick" resistance from the motors. If they can't move freely, something else is wrong.

-Stefan

Sagirokach

Post by Sagirokach » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:00 am

I'll check the wires again, but I'm really sure there is a lot of pressure on the x motor from the wider frame that I bought that nothing is moving freely... so I'll check both of the options when I have the time.

About the prontface vs octoprint we won't get into any argument (as I already put in so much time on getting the octoprint working on the raspberry pi..... I won't do it again with a new software), lol, but if you run prontface I belive it's working on the same idea, no?
I know that there are settings that move everything from octoprint that are different from the settings of the printer itself. is it the same on prontface? if it is the same I just need the settings...

I saw in the video tom did that he put 3000 on the XY and 200 on the Z.... I tried that on octoprint and it didn't work....

I'll try testing the printer with my PC with prontface and see if there is a change.

Thanks for the inputs! :)

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:17 am

🙂 Wasn't suggesting that there is anything wrong with Octoprint, etc, just thinking that if you used a different program you could rule out sources of trouble.

If your frame is too wide, I'd understand Z locking up, but not X. (Remember that the extruder travels on the two rods, which is not tied to the main frame). Maybe I'm misunderstanding.😐 You should be able to adjust the Z tension with the two bolts on the right side of the X frame (near the belt pulley). The only reasons I could think of for the X-carriage to be stiff are either the rods are not properly spaced or they are not parallel (assuming your bearings are ok and the belt isn't overtightened).

Send pics if you think it will help.

-S

Sagirokach

Post by Sagirokach » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:25 pm

I don't mind sending the pics but not today.

I think that the motor is sitting too tight on the frame because of the printed part, and because of that and maybe other forces it exerts either the pulley is misaligned, or the rods get pressured or something... but there is a lot of stiffness happening there...

I'll upload the photos tomorrow.

the only way I can rule out the octoprint being bad is by moving the not too ready printer near my PC... so that will have to wait another week or so... lol.

I'll see what I can do today for relieving the stress from that motor and I'll post the pictures tomorrow.
Thanks again. :)

Sagirokach

Post by Sagirokach » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:00 pm

ok so I didn't have the time yesterday or today to relive the stress but I took some pictures to show you what I mean...

I hope it makes sense now.... ;)