help getting the motors moving

Have an issue you can't figure out on your own?
Stefan

Re: help getting the motors moving

Post by Stefan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:08 am

I think you've lost me now. All the axes have this back and forth behavior? Do any of the motors run as expected?

Sagirokach

Post by Sagirokach » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:32 pm

ok from the beginning.

all the motors have this problem.
I left the Z axis for now and looking on the Y axis. the Y axis have the smoothest motion when the motors are not engaged.
when I try to run the Y axis it does the same back and forth movement. I check for continuity of the cables from the motor all the way to the RAMPS and it was excellent.

Still when I ran the printer and tried from the printer it self to move the Y axis it went back and forth... like I explained before.

I hope you understand me now. :?

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:10 pm

Ok, gotcha. Is this a long back and forth or quick shakes? If it is quick shakes, my first target would still be the wiring. You may have the two sets of wires properly separated, but one of the sets would have to flip its polarity. There are 24 possible combinations for the wires, and only 2 will work.

-Stefan

Sagirokach

Post by Sagirokach » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:23 am

oh man....... ok so if I have the wires colored from red-yellow-green-blue on the motor.... I turned it to red-green-yellow-blue on the RAMPS.... what should be the correct way? what is the order you have in yours?

Moorviper

Post by Moorviper » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:54 pm

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:43 am

Mine are top to bottom & left to right:

Black, green, red, blue.

Don't assume that you have the same order, though. I think you might have the right pairs, so swap two wires of the same pair and see if it works. If the motor runs the opposite way you want, flip all four wires.

-Stefan

Sagirokach

Post by Sagirokach » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:19 am

Stefan,

Can you pretty please upload a picture of the connector on the motor and the place it's plug into on the ramps?

That way I'll be able to follow the colors as yours do.

I didn't have the time to work on it up to now but I'll have a bit more time in the next few days...
If you can that'd be great.

Thanks in advance (even if you can't. :) )

Sagirokach

Post by Sagirokach » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:34 am

Ok so after watching Tom's video and trying to get the color coding of the wires of his motor wires I'm pretty sure I got it right... unless I'm missing something.

and the motor still move erratically.

Any other suggestion?

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:54 pm

At this point I have to admit that I am out of suggestions. If all three axes and the extruder are misbehaving, it suggests something they have in common, either the RAMPS, arduino, or common miswiring. I still suspect it is a wiring issue. The article that Moorviper linked give a good explanation of how to figure out the proper setup. Different motors MAY be wired differently so just copying someone else's set-up does not guarantee the right hook-up.

Try swapping two wires at a time. This has to be done systematically to cover all cases. I bet you have something like this:

(A+, B-) and (B+,A-) You may be closing the circuits (which causes movement), but sending signals to the wrong pairs.
or (A+,A-) and (B-,B+): correct circuits, but one is reversed.

If you had (A+,B+) and (A-,B-) there would be no movement.

You WANT (A+,A-) and (B+,B-). Closed circuits AND in the same direction of flow. Only two of the 24 combinations work.

I know this is frustrating. There are 24 possible combinations, so you CAN brute force it through all of them to find the right way. Take your time and record all the ones you have tried so you don't repeat any or miss any.

Hang in there.
-Stefan

Sagirokach

Post by Sagirokach » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:15 pm

Hello Again... :(

I finally settled in my new house and got to the point where I can work on my printer again.

I followed this tutorial:
https://howtomechatronics.com/tutorials ... d-arduino/

And my motors worked as they should when I took them out of the printer and when I put them back in running the code in the tutorial.
everything was working but when I plugged everything back and wanted to run it from the LCD attached to the printer it started hissing and grinding the motors and moved back and forth in tiny increments even tho I wanted it to move 10 milimeters.

So the wiring is good from the motor to the connector on the ramps.
so what can it be?

is there any way that I can check if my ramps is faulty?

also I tried moving the x axis and it's not smooth like I guess it should be, I feel the feeling of the teeth and it also sounds like that when I move the extruder assembly on the X axis.

anything anyone can help me with?
I have another RAMPS + MEGA combo preconfigured for another printer, that I can get my hands on tomorrow. so I'm going to bring it home and check it with those....

but if anyone has any other suggestion for me to check after I check that I'll gladly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance.