Inner diameter prints to small, outer to big.

Have an issue you can't figure out on your own?
FlatEarther

Inner diameter prints to small, outer to big.

Post by FlatEarther » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:04 am

This is what I printed:

This is what I got:

How am I suppose to calibrate this? Am I right to conclude that, because the deviation is not consistent for inner and outer diameters, it can't be hardware related and is probably software related?

Lazybee

Re: Inner diameter prints to small, outer to big.

Post by Lazybee » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:14 pm

I think the inner size of a hole is more nozzle dependent, for every hole that has to fit I have to make it the nozzle diameter wider. So my nozzle is a 0,4mm, the hole has to fit for example 40mm, I design it now to 40.4 mm, also for a 7mm wide head of a inbuss u make this hole 7,4mm. At least this works for me. By the way my outer size are a perfect fit... So maybe there is also a little more in the adjustment of steps to check.

Stefan

Re: Inner diameter prints to small, outer to big.

Post by Stefan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:41 pm

All plastic prints will shrink to some extent. The shape of the print will effect how much. Your 'peg' piece has (I assume) infill, so the outer shell has some resistance to shrinking because of compression. The outer shell is trying to squeeze the infill. But, your 'tube' piece inside surface has no compressible resistance only tension resistance from the infill surrounding it, so it can shrink more.

So why is your 'peg' piece too wide? Depends on the slicer. Some will try to lay the outer shell ON the plan line. This means that part of the shell will be outside the shape and part of it will be inside the shape. Look for a setting that preserves the outer dimension. If you can't find one, plan your parts accordingly.

Check out Maker's Muse on youtube; he has some decent advice and tools for exactly this issue.

-S