Prusa I3 MK3 FAN Whining Noise

Have an issue you can't figure out on your own?
BigCookieRiley

Prusa I3 MK3 FAN Whining Noise

Post by BigCookieRiley » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:07 am

Question about high pitch buzz/whining coming from my Prusa I3 MK3 parts cooling fan. I get this when printing with PET/PETG. I contacted Prusa support and they are sending me a new fan, however I'm not sure that will solve the issue. The whining noise is easy to reproduce, goto settings and temperature; then increase and decrease the fan speed. The whining stops when the fan is at full speed (255).

Based on my research it seems that this could be an issue with the fan PWM control and might need to be corrected in the firmware. I've found random others posting about it, but no solution. Are others having this same issue? If so, is there a real solution? The whining is driving me crazy.

Stefan

Re: Prusa I3 MK3 FAN Whining Noise

Post by Stefan » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:00 am

Hi BCR,

Another possibility is that you just got a fan that is either imbalanced or has bad bearings. You won't know for sure until you replace it. A short term solution might be to edit the beginning part of your g-code to set the fan to full speed. Stuff like this is really irritating, so I feel for you!

-Stefan

Row_CZ

Re: Prusa I3 MK3 FAN Whining Noise

Post by Row_CZ » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:06 pm

If it is a "coil whine" type of sound, I had that type of issue on my Prusa clone. I solved it with Marlin setings when PWM frequency is doubled (or something like that... it is a while so I am not sure but it is settings that is described as solution with this kind of problem) but if you have an original Mk3 it is probably a defective fan and new one should help.