Oven bag pop-up enclosure

Got any crazy ideas?
Billy3d

Oven bag pop-up enclosure

Post by Billy3d » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:09 pm

Oven bags are cheap, they can withstand high heat, they just can't touch hot metal.
If we can create a simple skeleton of an enclosure that could use the bag to cover the heated chamber it creates. At the very least, it could: keep dust out, keep out a breeze or movement of air from an A/C.
This has been an idea I've been thinking about for a while now. One of many I haven't decided to prototype yet. Just need some other people's thoughts on the idea.

chumm

Re: Oven bag pop-up enclosure

Post by chumm » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:03 pm

This could be a good source of material for making windows in an enclosure. I built a removable enclosure for my Dolly out of cardboard and it's very effective, but I have to take the lid off to check on the print. I thought about adding a window but wasn't sure what sort of plastic to use that would be sturdy under the heat, an oven bag sounds perfect!

Another hassle of having a cardboard enclosure that's not integrated is how much space it takes up when it's not on the printer. If you built a light frame and attached the oven bag plastic to create windowed walls, you might also be able to design it such that it can fold up when not in use, perhaps using wooden dowels and 3d printed parts as joiners.