Introduce Yourself!

Any subject is allowed (within legal limits)
Megabound

Introduce Yourself!

Post by Megabound » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:22 am

What do you do? Why are you into 3D printing? Let's get this community rolling!

I got my first printer in Feb this year, a Prusa i3 Mk2 kit just as I was getting a job in the commercial side of things. I now run a physical 3D printer, printing and component shop selling commercial printers and filaments to the public who look at printing as a means to an end instead of a hobby in itself.

Most of my printing at the moment is running tests for customers and familiarizing myself with a wide range of commercial machines and interesting filaments. This weekend I'm fitting the MK2S upgrade, ignus polymer bearings and a volcano block and nozzle to my personal machine.

MikeOToole

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Post by MikeOToole » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:58 am

Mike for Dublin, Ireland...

I purchased my first printer to play with... don't actually have anything specific to build but I can't wait to print something (printer should arrive this week)...

My background is in electronics (design) so I have lots of projects without enclosures... will fix that in the next few weeks...
A 3D printer opens up so may possibilities, things I would never have though possible are only a few hours away...

Mike

Aldenrenfrid

Post by Aldenrenfrid » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:40 pm

Hey, folks!
I just get started in 3D printing the end of may. Got into it with the MonoPrice Mini Select then got an Anet A8. Not planning to build a Prusa Clone from salvaged parts.

For me it's both the neatness factor as well as the ability to do rapid physical iterations of designs. but once I got them, it's amazing how many things it opens up, from fixing toys to boats, just got my first job with it by printing out a boat shifting handle.

GeekyRaptor

Post by GeekyRaptor » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:05 pm

Hello my name is James Hanvey, or Geeky Raptor which is my future pen name, I aspire to be an artist and author but I am still new at these things, I also am new at 3d printing, I have yet to buy an Anett A8 and/or a Cr10 3d printer I was planning on getting into the hobby for sure! ;)

I love the idea of creating a model in blender and then printing it out in filament of many kinds.

acruxksa

Post by acruxksa » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:07 pm

My name is Keith

I've had a rigidbot for about 2yrs now and have about 6 weeks left to wait for a Prusa i3 MK2S.
I originally got into 3d printing because I wanted to test several designs for an idea I had (I'm not going to mention the idea, because it really didn't work, but the rigidbot helped me realize it was a flawed concept. :D) Anyway, these days myself and my kids use the rigidbot to print everything from chess sets to school projects and holiday ornaments, Most recently my son has been printing fidget spinners like crazy????????????????? Over the last couple years, I've modded and upgraded my rigidbot many times and it's been a great printer, but i'm looking forward to adding the Prusa i3 to my bench and eventually building my own D-Bot.

My 3d design skills suck so I've been limited to mostly printing thingiverse files, but do hope to eventually get better at making my own stuff.

I live in Alaska and am a Marine Pilot (ships, not planes ;) )

A few pictures:
Me

My Job

My Printer

Some Prints

PauloMateiro

Post by PauloMateiro » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:17 pm

Well hello...

I'm Paulo, from Portugal. Purchased my first 3d printer last May, it's a Flying Bear P902. Will post some pictures and details as soon as I can get some half-decent pictures.

For know the printer is just a hobby and a way to learn new things. My goal is to use it to make real functional parts for several projects.

Lerche

Post by Lerche » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:34 pm

Christian, Denmark.

Electronics technician at a hospital, but most of my career is within trains, at least the electronics on board.

Started 3D printing in 2012, when Printrbot came out, and I designed my first version of 3DPCB(Smoothieware).
Haven't used Marlin, until I had to buy a printer for work, with MKS gen 1.4.

Mainly I'm interested in the electronics in printing, but of course, if possible to print something useful, I do like that better than any boats or vases.

Have a great night everyone :)

supernielsen

Post by supernielsen » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:19 pm

Hello im Patrick from Denmark.

Been printing an tinkering with printers since 2010.
I joined this forum to see what exiting subjects that come up here and to see what kind of great prints there maybe will be pictures of in the future.
However im glad to be here :)

LugNut

Post by LugNut » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:50 am

Hello I am just a very OLD man that lives near Toronto in Canada

I imagined a way to make FREE ENERGY... well not really free but basically thought that
I could make something that no one else has even thought of.

But I needed a way to make the phototype... I thought CNC and 3d printer as the parts
can not be found and had to be invented for the first time... and I didn't have the money to
get a company to do it.

So I built a CNC machine from scratch in my apartment. I have bur-bur carpet so every single
piece had to be hand crafted on my balcony and I ended up with a machine with 1 inch balls screws
that could print 36 inches x 36 inches in my spare room in my apartment without a shop.

I am lucky because things that I can imagine often work first time when I build them.

But now I have gotten old, I have forgotten the details of my FREE ENERGY unit
and decided to give up on it and just melt plastic.

I never got a good grade in my life, because I am not smart like most people and I don't
have any real friends because I don't really mix with people very well.

All that time alone to think, and no one telling me that I couldn't make something, gave me the freedom to
learn how to program microchips, design working cnc machine and even design a radio controlled airplane
with a real air foil and dihedral wings with ordinary dollar store foam board.

I assume that the Canadian government already knows how my FREE ENERGY MACHINE WORKS
because it is COPPER based, LOTS of COPPER... and when you think you have enough... triple it, LOL
When they removed the copper penny... they knew in the future copper would be worth more than gold.

So when your learning calculus and you feel like you will never need it... your wrong.
You can not make things happen if you don't have the background to make it happen...

So print, study, and B inspired.

I don't buy name brands because people that rely on food banks and government incomes
generally don't have that kind of cash. I am sure my ten dollars isn't going do destroy their
chances at success. So when someone says go to open builds and spend $200.00 on a
very short simple slider ... I say, wait a minute I can get
THK NSR25TBC2UU 1000SGX CNC ROUTE (2) LINEAR RAIL 1000MM (4) LINEAR BEARINGS
for that much and that is what they put in a real machine... so I might be dumb as I stick
but I can still do basic math.
I want the PRUSA MK3 CONTROLS FEATURES and its 200mm x 300mm hot bed
and the MARK 2 enclosure, Bowden duel j-heads attached to bondtech extruders
or something geared 7:1 so 3mm filament is still an option. PM Please

Baileykos

Post by Baileykos » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:22 pm

Hello all, welcome me :)
i am newbie here, i am working on 3d projects like 3d exterior design, 3d interior design,rendering, 3d architectural rendering. i have also knowledge about 3d walkthrough, 3d floor plan, AR-VR.