Open Letter of Gratitude

Any subject is allowed (within legal limits)
Rossos

Open Letter of Gratitude

Post by Rossos » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:06 am

Dear Tom!

I just made my very first 3D FDM Printer from scratch.
It would not have been possible without you.
The countless information you have address in your YouTube videos answered a lot of my questions and helped me made design decision along the way.
Especially invaluable video would be the one on RAMPS 1.4 (around 3 years ago?) where you were discussing it's weaknesses. That video was the major contributor in addressing those issues and working around them.
My main objective at the beginning of this project was to make a 3D printer without having to rely on another 3D printer (aka no 3D printer parts).
I started this project around Christmas holidays of 2017. And now around two months later I made my first print the other day.
Below you can see the printer in all it's glory and it's very first print - the Benchy. As well as a timelapse I have made here.

If there is an interest of the whole journey of the project I can share that too!

Thank you!
20180313_093035_small2.jpg
20180313_093035_small2.jpg (553.01 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
20180312_200611_x2000.jpg
20180312_200611_x2000.jpg (548.79 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
20180312_200447_x2000.jpg
20180312_200447_x2000.jpg (454.99 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
Proud owner and maker of build from scratch FDM 3D printer This Here Thing

Dik

Re: Open Letter of Gratitude

Post by Dik » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:22 pm

Congratulations! That is a wonderful first print. I never would have thought of using drawer slides, I would have thought there would be too much play, but your print belies that. I for one would definitely like to see more of the design, as I plan to make a new printer from my first printer (a Prusa Mendel) which has too many problems to address efficiently.
Sells Mendel and Prusa i3 Mk3 Kit built and working great.
Things not 3DP related:
Blog
YouTube
SketchUp Models

Rossos

Re: Open Letter of Gratitude

Post by Rossos » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:58 pm

I am both surprised and amazed at the outcome with using drawer slides too myself.
However the idea of using the drawer slides is not mine, all credit should go to this awesome guide at Instructables: A-low-cost-3D-printer-with-basic-tools.

I did not have a 3D printer before this one, nor did I have access to one. And the simple concept of "no 3D printed parts" is what hooked me up. Plus I do not trust hardened rods too much. I live in a very humid climate, on average above 85% humidity, and all the tools in my garage which have hardened rods for slide purposes have shown rust within 6 months. But not the drawer slides in the storage furniture in the very same garage.

You are right about the drawer slides having a significant play. Which is only outwards. However the X and the Z axis do not show it, because of the weight distribution they stay in fixed angles. The problem was with the Y axis (The heated bed). Those were shifting like a car during acceleration and breaking. I was ready to remove the sliders and/or add drawer 35mm caster wheels underneath. But while I was messing with the a slider in my hands I found out that if you "twist" them they would lose the play. If you can spot it in the first picture they are slightly angled, that's because I added washers to the inner sides between top slide and the plywood. The plywood bent too, but it doesn't affect the heated bed itself.

I don't really see anything drastically new in this design, the design is like any other of this sort in my opinion, like i3, cr-10, et cetera, but you can most definitely see the whole design analyzed in the Inctructables link above.
Proud owner and maker of build from scratch FDM 3D printer This Here Thing