Selling Prints Ethics

Any subject is allowed (within legal limits)
junkieball

Selling Prints Ethics

Post by junkieball » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:50 pm

So i've been asked to print a part from thingiverse, I told the client i was unable as it specifically says do not print and sale (fair enough as i design content myself and know how frustrating others making money from a design that took you hours or days to do).

My general question here is where the license is just non commercial and nothing has been stated about selling is it legal to print and sell if your only charging for the materials used, electric, and printer depreciation? If you add say 10-20% profit (for your time) onto this are you then breaking the licensing agreement? How to large sites get around this such as 3dhubs & shape ways as im sure customers upload parts from thingiverse all the time and they are purely printing for profit.

GrumpyDude

Re: Selling Prints Ethics

Post by GrumpyDude » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:07 am

always try and ask the author, if they wont answer withing reasonable time they a: dont care or b: have forgotten about it

so in case that happens ill usually print it at my usual rates 1.5€ an hour to cover all my costs and thats about it :) and if someone gives more then ill tip the creator 25/50% of whatever extra i make if they have that option enabled :)