Firmware Question

3D Modelling, Slicing, Hosts and Management
neuman5022

Firmware Question

Post by neuman5022 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:40 am

Hi Guys,

My first post here...

In case I need to change a parameter on other than the Configuration.h file in Arduino IDE - can I just upload the file directly to my printer?

For example - If I need a parameter from Configuration_adv.h - can I upload that file to the printer or the only file I can upload is the Configuration.h ?

Does a change I do in another file updates the Configuration.h or each file is on it's own ?

Many thanks

Stefan

Re: Firmware Question

Post by Stefan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:18 pm

Hi Neuman,

Welcome to the forum. Files such as Configuration.h are compiled into code that the Arduino can understand. The text form seen in the IDE cannot be used by the Arduino directly because that would require an interpreter (a program that reads high level code and converts it to low level code for the machine in real-time).

So, this means that if you change a config file in the IDE, you will have to recompile it and upload the entire code back to the Arduino.

-Stefan

neuman5022

Post by neuman5022 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:36 pm

Thanks Stefan.

I am really new to this - hence I still not understand something. :oops:

After loading a sketch to the Arduino IDE - my routine is to to verify it and then upload. I understand that when verifying the IDE does to compiling and then uploads to the board the IDE is connected to.

Now to change some parameters - usually it is done in the configuration.h - then upload the changes to the board.

However, there are some special parameters that are NOT in the configuration.h but on other files of the same sketch. My question is in order to upload those special parameters - do I do the same (I.E verify and upload) directly from that other file, or it has to go only via the configuration.h file.

Many thanks

Isaac

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:58 pm

Hi Issac,

Upload and Verify. Configuration.h is no different than any other file in the program, and the compilation process does not care what file you currently have open.

-Stefan

neuman5022

Post by neuman5022 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:16 pm

Thanks Stefan,

With firmware - you better be safe than sorry... :D

Cheers

Isaac