Personal Print Settings Database Idea

3D Modelling, Slicing, Hosts and Management
oakdesign

Personal Print Settings Database Idea

Post by oakdesign » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:39 am

Hi all,
As a noob with my 4 weeks experince I'm facing the issue that for understanding how different slicer settings affect my prints I would have to be much more scientific in taking my notes.
As I just started with a series of test prints to get a knowledge how retraction setting affect the stringing effect on my machine I came to the conclusion I need kind of a print database where I would store all parameters that I have set on a specific print together with pictures just to be able to review,query, compare those result.

Ok I could use a spreadsheet taking my notes manually. But beeing a software developer I'm to lazy to do that by hand per se.
So, taking notes by hand no way.
Saving every print as a cura project, no way either as no query and analysis possible.

Using Cura as my slicer at the moment did a quick research just to find out that everything I need is already there. Cura saves every change made to the current profile settings to the end of the produced gcode file and the default settings of a profile into a json file, so quite easy to drop a gcode file onto an application read all the settings and save into my Database, spreadsheet or whatever I'm giong to use along with pictures of my prints.

Just a quick look on the Cura plugins github shows up that even the file readers are already availabe as Python scripts. Just need to hook a few things together.

Might be a nice little side project

Regards Richard
Opa's bester Rat: Probieren geht über Studieren, Grandpas best advice: the proof of the pudding is in the eating

i3-guy

Re: Personal Print Settings Database Idea

Post by i3-guy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:42 pm

It seems like git be a cool place to share print settings because of the branching and merging.

The main branch would be the filament settings from the vendor.
Other branches from the main would be based off of machine, nozzle size, layer height, speed.

oakdesign

Post by oakdesign » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:04 pm

Git is mainly used as a version control system for software development.
The cura source code is hosted on git and you could easily fork it and build yout own version. The Cura UI part is written in Python weras the CuraEngie stack is C++.
On my way home on the train today I just reviewed the Cura code and realized that my idea is even easier to implement as I could write my own plugin that hooks onto the "Save to File" method of Cura and in addition to save the .gcode file I can save all settings I have used to slice that file to another location.
For a first version to a .csv file that could be opened in Excel in order to compare,filter and analyse the data.

It's bin a while since I coded my last Python project. Just have to get used to it again and supress my first thoughts whenever I open a .py file
:mrgreen: "WHERE ARE THE BRACKETS" :mrgreen:

Currently I'm still a bit busy with my other hobby (have to finsih 2 enigne builds till the end of the month, but in July I'll get into Cura plugin development.

Regards Richard
Opa's bester Rat: Probieren geht über Studieren, Grandpas best advice: the proof of the pudding is in the eating

ronka

Post by ronka » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:41 am

hi, are you using cura 15.04 or 2.3? i use the old one because i absolutely don't like the interface of the new one..
also the new cura doesn't support dual nozzle for other brands than their own.
i managed to get I3 dual running on 2.3 but it was a pain in the @ss figuring it out.. that's also a reason a lot of people wil use the old version..
(for who's brave enough...https://ultimaker.com/en/community/2240 ... ra-23-beta)

so if you are getting things done dont forget the 15.04 users please.

oakdesign

Post by oakdesign » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:09 am

I'm using Cura 2.5 and as far as I can say starting with Cura 2 Ultimaker uses their own new framework called Uranium for building the UI and providing the plugin functionality.
I haven't had a look on older Cura versions.
For a first shot I will do a proof of concept and then decide if it's woth the effort to really implement a fully functional plugin.

Regards Richard