Problem compiling Marlin

3D Modelling, Slicing, Hosts and Management
aliasmeum

Problem compiling Marlin

Post by aliasmeum » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:24 am

Hi,
I got inspired after watching Tom's video on how to set up a LCD panel.
I am trying to do a simple edit to "Configuration.h". This is the first time I attempt to do changes to the firmware. I am also quite fresh to both Linux and Arduino so I hope someone can help me understand this.
I have downloaded "Marlin_TAZ45_Uaru_1.0.0.1" from Lulzbot.com
I have a fresh installation of Arduino IDE 1.8.3 on Ubuntu 16.04. I have added the U8glib 1.19.1 library from the library manager.
When compiling I get the following error message:

"In file included from sketch/dogm_lcd_implementation.h:38:0,
from sketch/ultralcd.cpp:75:
sketch/dogm_font_data_marlin.h:12:25: fatal error: utility/u8g.h: No such file or directory
#include <utility/u8g.h>
^
compilation terminated.
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560."

My Arduino installation is in: "/usr/local/src" and I find the missing library file is in: "/usr/local/src/arduino-1.8.3/libraries/U8glib/src/clib"

Is "#include<utility/u8g.h>" pointing to folder "utility" which should contains the file "u8g.h"? Can I then simply change the #include statement or move the file "u8g.h" to another folder?

oakdesign

Re: Problem compiling Marlin

Post by oakdesign » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:07 pm

There's adifference in the include statements
For #include "filename" the preprocessor searches in the same directory as the file containing the directive
For #include <filename> the preprocessor searches in an implementation dependent manner, normally in search directories pre-designated by the compiler/IDE

Haven't worked with Arduione that much, just flashing Marlin to my Anet on a Windows so far but from my programmers point of view you have to configure in arduino where you have installed the U8glib library

so on a windows machine you would have to install the library through the library manager. Don't have A unix version on hand rihgt now.

Regards
Opa's bester Rat: Probieren geht über Studieren, Grandpas best advice: the proof of the pudding is in the eating

aliasmeum

Post by aliasmeum » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:12 pm

Thank you oakdesign,
I have installed the library through the library manager. And I have now found out that the library manager, by default, installs the library in my selected sketchbook folder. I have tried to change my sketchbook folder location, through preferences in Arduino IDE, to the same directory as the IDE. I have also tried to move the downloaded "Marlin_TAZ45_Uaru_1.0.0.1" to this new sketchbook location. Still getting the same error message.

ronka

Post by ronka » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:04 pm

i searched the whole of the marlin firmware but did'nt find any reference to u8g.h
in arduino go to the sketch tab-->use library --> look down under contributed library... is the u8g present there or is it u8glib thats present?
if u8glib is present it could be you've made a typo in the firmware.
use ctrl+f to hunt for u8g.h and replace it with u8glib.h (check the box 'search all tabs' to make live more easy)
happy hunting..

aliasmeum

Post by aliasmeum » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:00 am

Thank you for looking at this ronka,
I am trying to compile the unedited version of "Marlin_TAZ45_Uaru_1.0.0.1" downloaded from Lulzbot.com.
There is a reference to u8g.h in "sketch/dogm_font_data_marlin" line 12: "#include <utility/u8g.h>".
In the library manager it is, as you say, u8glib.h that is installed.
The u8g.h file is in the u8glib library folder: "libraries/u8glib/src/clib/u8g.h"
I do not have the experience to know if I should change the #include statement or move the file u8g.h to another folder or if there is another solution for this problem.

ronka

Post by ronka » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:23 am

hi, the lulzbot website is not recommending using arduino to update firmware..
https://ohai.lulzbot.com/project/firmwa ... -flashing/
in the taz4 firmware .tar file is a u8glib present with an instruction, maybe specific for your printer??
if that fails im out of options.. so then just wait for the answer you've asked from lulzbot support.

oakdesign

Post by oakdesign » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:48 am

Ok it seems that the structure uf the u8glib version you are using is different to the one taht is expected by your firmware.
Just from the error message in the best case it should be sufficient to change line 12 in sketch/dogm_font_data_marlin
from
#include <utility/u8g.h> to
#include <clib/u8g.h>
as clib is apparently where your u8g.h is located. But you should check if that is the only place where you have an include uf the u8g.h

from a quick research it's most likely that older version of u8glib had a utility folder that has been moved to clib for newer version.
If you still encouter problems might be woth to try an older version of u8glib that has still the utility folder

Regards Richard
Opa's bester Rat: Probieren geht über Studieren, Grandpas best advice: the proof of the pudding is in the eating

aliasmeum

Post by aliasmeum » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:58 pm

Thank you for looking into this guys,

Changing line 12, and line 171, in sketch/dogm_font_data_marlin from #include <utility/u8g.h> to #include <clib/u8g.h> did help me one step ahead, but getting through the first library related issues, there is also errors in the code.
I am not experienced enough to go further into this and I have been in dialog with Lulzbot support for a while now, but they are not willing to help me in this issue.
My conclusion is that the firmware for Taz 5 on Lulzbots server "http://download.lulzbot.com/TAZ/5.0_0.5 ... Q2/Marlin/" is not in working order and Lulzbot can not tell me how to get a stock firmware to compile in Arduino IDE or point me i the direction of any other working firmware (Other than their working .hex).
I have decided to try Sebastians version from the topic at Lulzbot forum: "Latest Firmware for TAZ5 - advanced development version". There is a tremendous amount of work being put into his version, and a lot of really happy users.

ronka

Post by ronka » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:26 am

just thinking out loud; maybe lulzbot is not handeling the filestructure correct in the firmware for umbuntu..
do you have access to a windows computer where you can give arduino a try??

in my (windows) directory the library-folder is called U8glib_Arduino-master; is that name different to what the firmware is expecting?

aliasmeum

Post by aliasmeum » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:52 pm

Thank you ronka,

I think I have solved the library related issues, but I believe there also are bugs in the code. I will not waste more time on Lulzbots firmware version. I have downloaded the mentioned firmware from Sebastian and this one I can get to compile and are now almost ready to upload to my printer.
Have a look at the topic "Latest Firmware for TAZ5 - advanced development version" in the Lulzbot forum, the improvements in his firmware sounds quite amazing.
I do have some more questions before i upload the firmware, but i will start another topic for that.
I now consider this topic closed, thank you for your help guys!

Regards Robert