Tom's opinions on CAD software

3D Modelling, Slicing, Hosts and Management
joshw

Tom's opinions on CAD software

Post by joshw » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:55 am

I've searched around but couldn't find anything with Tom's opinions on 3D CAD software. Does anyone know if he's created any videos/articles on the Subject? I searched around for contact information so I could ask but that seems to be hard to find (probably intentionally).

I'm curious for recommendations on a CAD package for someone who'd like to create their own models for 3D printing. Mostly probably things more like structural parts for robots and printers, etc. rather than artistic things like decorative figures. I've used OpenSCAD to the point where I've been able to create a simple fan mount for one of my printers, but I'm not sure that's the best tool so I figured I'd try to look around, and I'd rather not spend too much time learning a CAD package only to find out it's not really that great for the sort of thing I want to do.

Does anyone have suggestions? I started looking for Tom's opinions because I have a great deal of respect for his opinions on 3D printing in general.

Any pointers to great tutorials would also be appreciated!

chumm

Re: Tom's opinions on CAD software

Post by chumm » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:18 am

Quoting a post from another thread:
chumm wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:31 am
For model design, Autodesk Fusion 360 is rapidly becoming the standard 3d cad program, it's free for non-commercial use but is basically professional software (if still in a bit of a beta state). I didn't find it intuitive at first having no cad experience, but after a couple tutorials I couldn't imagine using anything else. Blender as noted is good for organic or artistic models. but parametric modeling like Fusion 360 is what you want to use for anything mechanical or functional. OpenSCAD accomplishes certain tasks faster than anything else though so it's definitely worth learning.

Here's an interesting video of what's possible with parametric design and 3d printing:

And here's the tutorial series I used to learn the basics and get comfy with experimenting:

I_am_me

Post by I_am_me » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:06 pm

I know Tom uses Onshape which is an online CAD tool, as chumm mentioned you could have a look at Fusion 360.
I use Fusion 360 because it's extremely powerful (you can design anything with it, make renders and run simulations), it can be used for parametric and freeform modeling and it's free.
If you're into programing you should check out OpenSCAD which is also really powerful but will need a lot more to get into.

joshw

Post by joshw » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:43 pm

Thanks @chumm and @I_am_me, sounds like I should check out Fusion 360!