Why does this happen

3D Modelling, Slicing, Hosts and Management
FlatEarther

Why does this happen

Post by FlatEarther » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:34 pm

See video:

https://youtu.be/46jJOn7PPf0

You can clearly see that when it prints the neck of the frog, it prints the two inner layers first and then moves to another position to start the outer layer. I can't think of a good reason for this. It adds to the print time and creates seams/blobs that wouldn't be there if it printed all the three perimeters in a continuous motion.

This model is sliced with Slic3R prusa edition.
Last edited by FlatEarther on Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stefan

Re: Why does this happen

Post by Stefan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:59 pm

Hi FlatEarther,

Great question and good video to make your point. The shell deposition process differs from slicer to slicer. I believe you CAN make it do the outer layer first in some software.

My suspicion is that since the outer layer is the visible one, it benefits from some backing or support from completed inner layers. More precision if you have more internal material to bond to.

FlatEarther

Post by FlatEarther » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:59 pm

Thank you for your response.

It can start with the first inner layer and loop around three times to print all layers from inner to outer, this would leave the best surface finish I think. However, as you can see in the video, it starts with the first inner layer, loops twice and moves to a different position and starts with printing the outer layer. During the move command, it retracts and has to prime before starting the outer layer. This can leave a rougher surface.

I'm using Slic3R prusa edition by the way.

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:16 am

It is staggering the seam in each shell for added strength. You could try turning off staggered seams AND minimizing travel distance.

FlatEarther

Post by FlatEarther » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:55 pm

How do I disable staggering in slic3r? I can't find that option anywhere.