SoMars 3D Printer

Anything goes! Cheap or expensive, FDM or SLA, DIY or Commercial.
alex.hunt

SoMars 3D Printer

Post by alex.hunt » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:06 am

Hi,
I am living in Japan and I have a lab at the Japanese graduate University called NAIST.

I was going to get the new multi-color Prusa , but they cannot deliver for a few more months. So I will get that next year after they work out the bugs.

In the mean time I need something that can give me a good print without breaking the bank as my old Mandel printer is just not going to cut it for using higher temperature extrusion.

At first I was considering the CR-10 from Hictop as I can get it pretty fast from Amazon Japan. But then I came across a printer called SoMars at http://www.noulei.com/index.php/product ... id/57.html ... they seem nice but I cannot find anything on the net about them.

Does anyone here know anything about these guys or should I just get the Hictop for now?

I want to do nylon, silicon and some new in-house graphene and superconductor formulations that we are making here in my lab with our filament extruder.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

PartTimeRonin

Re: SoMars 3D Printer

Post by PartTimeRonin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:59 am

Depend on how much you pay for it.
Printer based on Makerbot gantry, aluminium part is nice.
If that render of touch screen is accurated, they probably use close-source STM32 based controller board.
Might be hard to find info if something need to be change.
Hotend and extruder is nothing special, just MK8 style, it's direct extruder so that should be nice.
Not sure about Z axis setup, can't see second linear rod(I hope they don't go with single rod...right?)

I still go with CR-10, from what I see it's not bad for the price.
Maybe add Titan Aero kit to it.

btw, about the graphene I'm not sure what kind of filament that would be but I assume it would be abrasive so you might want to find some harden nozzle upgrade for it.

alex.hunt

Post by alex.hunt » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:44 am

I just came across the Anycubic i3 Mega, also available here in Japan. Does anyone know if it can do polycarbonate? We just realized that we need to make something from polycarbonate and don't have a 3d printer to do that. Although the CR-10 looks great ... I am very worried on the lack of auto-leveling feature.

Any advace would be welcome ...

Thanks,

PartTimeRonin

Post by PartTimeRonin » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:46 pm

CR-10 weakness is the heated bed which slow to get to polycarbonate bed temp.
Also I think the hotend is not all metal but a PTFE liner one which limit print temp to about 250C (PC need higher than that)

If you have some basic about 3D printer component and have friends that can print some part for you maybe try to built one might be a good choice, recommend to go with 24V PSU, 110V heated bed with SSR, cast aluminium plate for bed and good quality full metal hotend.