All my prints fails

Anything goes! Cheap or expensive, FDM or SLA, DIY or Commercial.
ComicBit

Re: All my prints fails

Post by ComicBit » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:08 pm

Peter Bermingham wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:20 pm
Dan3008 wrote
Can i ask something? Is needed to print something like the printer pieces on 100% infill? Isn't it an overkill? What are suggested setting for something like a prusa i3 mk2 plastic parts?

I asked Tom the same question on twitter as I am in the process of making "Dolly" and the answer he gave was "1.5mm Shell 20% Infill will do the trick" and it worked great! Who would of guessed Tom might know what he is talking about! :D
1.5mm sheel? Is perimeter? How to do it?

ComicBit

Post by ComicBit » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:08 pm

Peter Bermingham wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:36 pm
I had the same problem with my wanhao duplicator i3 plus, I replaced the nozzle, calibrated extruder, did a p.i.d. Tune and after nearly going insane replaced the nozzle again and presto.
I was right the first time it was a clogged nozzle but the first replacement nozzle was rubbish and the next one was good! Even though I bought all 10 nozzles at once through the same supplier.
And they are the same part number and they all look the same I found out that at least one is rubbish.
Morale to the story, my first thought was right and if I tried a second nozzle straight away I would've save myself about three days of mucking around. Go with you gut!
So for you is just a nozzle problem?

ComicBit

Post by ComicBit » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:10 pm

PartTimeRonin wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:52 am
ComicBit wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:57 am
PartTimeRonin wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:42 am
Look like underextrusion+jam to me.
Maybe try to tight the extruder idle arm tension more.
What is the Extruder Idler here on your opinion?
Hhmm, look like it's not adjustable.(Or maybe it's adjustable but you didn't put some part in there, is there any bolts and washers left from the assembly?)
Btw I would change that clear tube on the left hand side to PTFE tube, I got problem from that clear tube before(kink on the inside wall).
Really? Lol it was an upgrade in my mind :lol: i'm going to go back to ptfe then. About the extruder, nothing is missing.

ViennaBlood

Post by ViennaBlood » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:12 pm

You might also check the current for your extruder driver (if your extruder is skipping).

Use Pronterface/RepetierHost to heat your hotend to your print temperature (I prefer pronterface).
Move the print head at least 10cm above your build plate.
When your hotend is at temperature extrude 50-100mm of filament. In pronterface you can easily set the extrusion speed right next to the amount (it is im mm/minute!).
If your extruder motor is skipping (it makes a knocking sound, and you see the axle "jump") lower the speed until you can smoothly extrude at least 50mm of filament.

I had very similar problems and found out that I could only extrude at 90 mm/min. Which is really really bad. That's 1.5mm/sec, which allows a print speed (movement of head while extruding) of less than 35mm/sec. I had been moving much faster than that (up to 80mm/s). Ouch.
The calculations (I hope I remember these correctly):
max. extrusion speed x pi x (filament diameter / 2)^2 = flowrate (example: 1.5 x 3.1415 x 0.875^2 = 3.6)
flowrate / (layer height x extrusion width) = max print speed (ex. 3.6 / (0.2 x 0.48) = 37.6)

After adjusting the driver current for my extruder I could extrude at >300mm/min. Which would allow me to print at ~150mm/s. Much better.
Of course you always have to watch the temperatures of your extruder motor and driver, increasing the current will lead to higher temps, which can lead to even more skipping.

Peter Bermingham

Post by Peter Bermingham » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:23 pm

ComicBit wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:08 pm
Peter Bermingham wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:36 pm
I had the same problem with my wanhao duplicator i3 plus, I replaced the nozzle, calibrated extruder, did a p.i.d. Tune and after nearly going insane replaced the nozzle again and presto.
I was right the first time it was a clogged nozzle but the first replacement nozzle was rubbish and the next one was good! Even though I bought all 10 nozzles at once through the same supplier.
And they are the same part number and they all look the same I found out that at least one is rubbish.
Morale to the story, my first thought was right and if I tried a second nozzle straight away I would've save myself about three days of mucking around. Go with you gut!
So for you is just a nozzle problem?
Yes it ended up being a Nozzle problem

Peter Bermingham

Post by Peter Bermingham » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:27 pm

ComicBit wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:08 pm
Peter Bermingham wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:20 pm
Dan3008 wrote
Can i ask something? Is needed to print something like the printer pieces on 100% infill? Isn't it an overkill? What are suggested setting for something like a prusa i3 mk2 plastic parts?

I asked Tom the same question on twitter as I am in the process of making "Dolly" and the answer he gave was "1.5mm Shell 20% Infill will do the trick" and it worked great! Who would of guessed Tom might know what he is talking about! :D
1.5mm sheel? Is perimeter? How to do it?
if you are using a 0.4 Nozzle make the slicer you are using do 4 outline/perimeters Shells.....0.4 x 4 =1.6mm close enough