Slic3r settings

Have an issue you can't figure out on your own?
cosminnci

Slic3r settings

Post by cosminnci » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:54 pm

Hello,
I have tried the same design in Slic3r and Cura temp is 200 with 60 on heatbed and 0.2 layer height
Cura is on recommended and completes the print reasonable, the top print in the images, on Slic3r I get a dots like print and as cools becomes bumps and the printer head bounces over them also the layer spacing on Slic3r looks more coarse.
what is causing those bumps?

thank you.
Regards,
Cosmin
Attachments
IMAG0161.jpg
IMAG0161.jpg (778.31 KiB) Viewed 892 times
IMAG0160.jpg
IMAG0160.jpg (723.95 KiB) Viewed 892 times

chumm

Re: Slic3r settings

Post by chumm » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:47 am

The biggest difference between these 2 prints is the Cura print was started closer to the bed on the Z-axis. You can tell this because the filament is pushed closely together as it was extruded very close to the bed, so it creates a more solid layer. The Slic3r was printed higher on the Z-axis so the lines are not pushed together at all, but rather they fall slightly into the print and stay round instead of flattening out. This leads to the holes around the edges that would normally be filled in by the filament being pushed against the bed.

I've never used Cura so I don't know where you find the Z-offset value it used, but on Slic3r you can set a Z-offset in the printer settings tab:
Based on the difference between those two, I'd try -0.2 in Slic3r, you can increment it either way by 0.05 until you find a setting that gives you a good first layer. After you dial that in I'd try getting that piece fully printed, then if there's something else about it you want to fix post some more pics and we can take another look :D

cosminnci

Post by cosminnci » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:53 am

And what do you think about those small waves on the layer, because that made me stop that print, it started shaking the extruder as passing over them. Could it be some under extrusion ?

ronka

Post by ronka » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:30 pm

abouth the bumps;
looks like the printer is making infill but is oozing after hopping to next infillpoint, try printing with more shell thickness making infill unnecesary;
if bumps dissapear---> look at lowering z-hop and/or retraction settings (and all other speeds, and nozzle temperature.... look at everything!! :shock:)
else check if your nozzle size is set propperly and measure the filament diameter..