Page 1 of 1
Dolly extruder issues
Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:24 am
I've been trying to figure out an issue my Dolly i3 build. It works absolutely perfectly with Polymaker filament but the extruder will start skipping steps at random on any of my Hatchbox filaments. I've played with different temperatures and changed nozzles with no luck (but every time I switch back to Polymaker it works fine).
When it does jam it just takes the a little help pushing on the filament and it continues on for a while. I'm at a loss as to what to try next, it's happened on multiple Hatchbox spools and these spools I had used successfully with my Anet A8 (which I no longer have).
Any ideas on what I should try next?
Re: Dolly extruder issues
Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:56 am
Quick question, when you built did you take steps to realign the filament path as Tom did in his video after building. He drilled out a hole for the stepper mount on the extruder to give it some play so he could shift the body over and give a straighter path. I wanted a more permanent solution so made some modified OpenSCAD files which are here https://github.com/ardenpm/Original-Prusa-i3
. I found until I did that I could get most filaments in but some just had a bit too much stress on them and wouldn't feed properly.
If you already had that sorted seems odd that those two brands would behave so differently given they are both good quality ones (at least I hear that for Hatchbox, I've only personally used PolyMaker PolyMax PLA). I assume you tried different tension on the idler springs already as well and tuning the current on your stepper drivers? Of course, that wouldn't explain why the different filaments would behave differently unless perhaps one is particularly slick.
I have definitely found if my setup was marginal in terms of feeding that a more matte filament would work while a shinier filament would not. I didn't have that issue once it was all dialed in though. If all that stuff is exactly what you already thought of then I'd be stumped to
Re: Dolly extruder issues
Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:30 am
So on a whim before I saw your reply I tried loosening the idler springs a hair and just successfully finished a benchy test print so it seems it was that.
As to the quality of Hatchbox, my experience with PLAs so far is whatever garbage came with my A8 to which Hatchbox is far superior and Polymaker PolyLite. I get a little bit better and more consistent results with PolyLite than Hatchbox. The Hatchbox is very shiny and the PolyLite matte so that mimics your experience.