Mega2560 + LCD 12864 Graphic Smart Display Controller Module + Ramps 1.4 Mega Shield+A4988 Stepstick

Electronics, Components etc
bentech4u

Mega2560 + LCD 12864 Graphic Smart Display Controller Module + Ramps 1.4 Mega Shield+A4988 Stepstick

Post by bentech4u » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:12 pm

HI,

I am very new to 3D print and i would like to make one 3D printer. I am watching all the videos on toms3d youtube channel and the design i set in my mind is kind of prsua model.

i ordered the Mega2560 + LCD 12864 Graphic Smart Display Controller Module + Ramps 1.4 Mega Shield+A4988 Stepstick. connected all the stepper drivers and LCD module(no extruder, heated, stepper). I have some old stepper motor's with 4 wires.

How can i start checking with the board and stepper drivers? i have uploaded the merlin firmware as showed in tom3d youtube channel and nothing comes in the LCD panel.

Please anyone help me

ronka

Re: Mega2560 + LCD 12864 Graphic Smart Display Controller Module + Ramps 1.4 Mega Shield+A4988 Stepstick

Post by ronka » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:34 pm

Did you set up the correct lcd library in arduino before compiling?

Hint: https://playground.arduino.cc/Code/LCD12864

chumm

Re: Mega2560 + LCD 12864 Graphic Smart Display Controller Module + Ramps 1.4 Mega Shield+A4988 Stepstick

Post by chumm » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:34 pm

I think the correct library for that controller + marlin is U8Glib, you can install it from the arduino interface under Sketch > Include Library > Manage Libraries:

In the Marlin firmware you need to remove the "//" in front of #define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER in configuration.h:

Sorry if this information is redundant, no idea what you have already done.

If the code is set up correctly and the LCD is still not working, is it lit up? There's a backlight that will turn on as soon as it gets power even if there is no data. If it is not properly lit the controller may be plugged in incorrectly, it can be easy to mix up the two cables and some boards even have their connectors installed backwards. There is also a contrast knob on the bottom left of the screen, you can turn it with a small screwdriver. Try to move that a bit to see if it is just in the wrong place.

Let us know if you still need help, cheers.

bentech4u

Post by bentech4u » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:57 am

HI

i have downloaded latest Merlin firmware and Arduino IDE. did the above changes and it got worked, Thanks for your support

i have a small stepper motor, and i tried to test with the board. connected to X,Y & Z and tried to move from "prepare -> move Axis" and the motor is rotating,

But when i connect the motor on Extruder and tried the same from prepared, motor is not moving. Is there anything needs to be done on RAPS 1.4 side? actually, i have inserted 3 jumpers under motor driver on RAMPS.

Regards,
Ben

chumm

Post by chumm » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:24 am

I've never tried what you're doing, I've always messed with the firmware once all the parts are assembled, but one setting that comes to mind is the Prevent Cold Extrusion setting. Basically it will not let the extruder motor work unless the hotend is reading a certain temperature or higher. Here's what that section looks like in configuration.h:

If your code has the "//" removed, you can add them to comment both settings out and disable this feature (note that it is a good safety feature on your finished printer).

If it's not a software problem, the voltage on that stepper motor driver might not be set high enough. There is a little potentiometer on each stepper driver, you can turn it with a tiny screwdriver. Here's an article on how to properly configure the A4988 driver's current, but for your initial testing you can just turn it until you get some motor activity: http://reprap.org/wiki/Pololu_stepper_d ... or_current

bentech4u

Post by bentech4u » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:44 pm

HI

Thanks

I think MINTEMP is the issue. i saw that erroe on some Software which i connected to printer.

bu i am not sure how to check the voltage and current. if anyone is expert in this, please help to set that. i can't understand that information provided in Wiki.

Regards,
Ben

chumm

Post by chumm » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:05 pm

The simple way to set the current is to turn the knob all the way counter-clockwise, then try to operate the motor as you turn it clockwise. Once you reach a point where the motor operates, stop turning. If the motor gets hot during operation, you need to turn the current down. This does not need to be perfect, you are just trying to turn it up enough to provide enough current for the motor to work but not too much to overheat it. Note that it might need more power once you have your printer assembled because the motors will be moving weight, so this should be tuned once again when you have the printer parts attached.

If you have a data sheet on your motors we can help you figure out an exact value to measure with a voltmeter, but you can try the above method, it should work just as well.

slippyr4

Post by slippyr4 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:52 am

That's not a good way to set the motor current. I've got polulu drivers where clockwise increases the current and some where it decreases it, they vary. If you work blind as you suggest you risk destroying a driver or motor.

Use a voltmeter. If you haven't got one, then get one.

Do it with the motor disconnected and follow the equation shown on the reprap wiki pages for your driver, setting the current to about 80% of the max current stated on the data sheet for your steppers.
Self-built Prusa i3 MK2 clone
My things: https://www.thingiverse.com/slippyr4/designs
My Prusa firmware port for ramps & MKS : https://github.com/slippyr4/Prusa-Firmware

bentech4u

Post by bentech4u » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:10 pm

HI,

My stepper is on the way and i will do the voltage test once it comes.

is there any good design of DIY printer for a person who is doing this first time?

the reason why i am asking here is, here the only place i got clear information very quckly

Regards,
Ben

slippyr4

Post by slippyr4 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:35 pm

bentech4u wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:10 pm
is there any good design of DIY printer for a person who is doing this first time?
Well you could do worse than a Prusa i3 clone. For example, Tom's Dolly.

Having said that, dolly was an excercise in making the printer as low cost as possible. If you can afford it, you'd be wise spending a bit more on some of the components to make a higher quality pritner.
Self-built Prusa i3 MK2 clone
My things: https://www.thingiverse.com/slippyr4/designs
My Prusa firmware port for ramps & MKS : https://github.com/slippyr4/Prusa-Firmware