Azteeg X5 GT 32bit - experiences, remarks, etc.

Electronics, Components etc
Tomasz Stawarz

Azteeg X5 GT 32bit - experiences, remarks, etc.

Post by Tomasz Stawarz » Sat May 27, 2017 11:37 pm

I have been looking for controller board for my printer. After two or three weeks of research I have found this Azteeg X5 GT, and it looks very interesting. It is based on Smoothieboard, and runs Smoothieware - and as Tom mentioned about three years ago in video about smoothieboard (so I think it's even more important today) it's somewhat futureproof, and easier to use than Arduino based boards running appropriate firmware.
Main features mentioned on manufacturer site are:
  • 32BIT NPC LPC1769 120MHZ ARM processor
  • Compatible with Smoothieware firmware by Arthur Wolf
  • Isolated USB using Analog Devices iCoupler technology
  • Accepts Bigfoot Stepper Driver profile
  • Accepts Standard Pololu style divers with digipot control for Panucatt drivers.
  • 1 High Current Mosfet for Heat bed control
  • 2 Mosfet for Hotend control
  • 2 FAN Mosfets
  • 5 Stepper Driver slots
  • 6 Endstops with ESD/EMI protection
  • 3 analog thermistor inputs ( Over voltage protected)
  • Wide input high efficiency 5V switching power supply
  • Wide input high efficiency 12V switching power supply (dedicated)
  • Micro SD card slot built in
  • Terminal Block motor connectors
  • Vertical connectors for Endstops and thermistors.
  • High current input connector can handle up to 30 Amps
  • 4 Layer, 2oz outer layers PCB
  • 0-10V control for VFD drives
  • 5V Servo output (level shifted)
  • 30V max for main input
  • 48V max for stepper driver input
Additionaly there are extension boards for LAN, Thermocouple, and in future there will be also Wi-Fi, and two additional hotends (two stepper drives , two thermistor inputs, two Mosfet outputs).
Lan is important for me so i would get this and maybe Thermocouple board if it is able also to get temperature data from PT100 sensor (but I don't knew that yet), otherwise im going to find or build amplifier/converter that would be able to translate PT100 readings to thermistor input available on board.

Manufacturer of this board also provides stepper drivers with digipot current control (which I'm finding more convinient than manual control):
  • SD5984 - Based on allegro's new A5984 chips. 1/32 microstepping, 2 Amps 40V max.
  • SD6128 - Based on Sanyo's THB6128 chips. 1/128 microstepping, 2A 35V max.
  • SD8825 - Based on Ti DRV8825 1/32 microstepping, 2.5A 40V max.
  • Bigfoot BSD109A - 3A 50V. 1/32 microstepping.
  • Bigfoot BSD2100 - Based on TMC2100. Jumpers to modify settings.
  • Bigfoot BSD2660 - Based on TMC2660. SPI setup and configuration including current limit and microstepping. 3A 30V. 1/256 microstepping.
As machine im planning to build will be bigger one I was thinking about buying TMC2660 controllers and providing them with 24-30V input.
If You have any expirience with that board, or other boars/parts form Panucatt devices. Or if You have any advice please write it here. Of course if finally I will buy it and build printer based on it I will let You all knew how things are. Thanks in advance for any response.

PartTimeRonin

Re: Azteeg X5 GT 32bit - experiences, remarks, etc.

Post by PartTimeRonin » Sun May 28, 2017 5:42 am

Here is an option for you to consider if you looking for Smoothie with Pololu driver
Cohesion3D ReMix

Not going to say which one is better, you need to choose what suits you best.

Edit : didn't see that you want to go with Bigfoot TMC2660 driver, so I guess you need to use Azteeg.
Maybe check out Duet Wifi too.
With Azteeg+5xTMC2660 it's $165 so that's pretty close.

Tomasz Stawarz

Post by Tomasz Stawarz » Mon May 29, 2017 3:56 pm

THX :) ,
I will check both of them, Wi-Fi capacity looks good (not essential but I wouldn't mind having it ;) ), and Bigfoot drivers are not obligatory (just thought that if I'm going to build a machine from scratch i should will go with parts of highest possible futureproofness ;) )

lowfat

Post by lowfat » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:41 pm

PartTimeRonin wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 5:42 am
Here is an option for you to consider if you looking for Smoothie with Pololu driver
Cohesion3D ReMix

Edit : didn't see that you want to go with Bigfoot TMC2660 driver, so I guess you need to use Azteeg.
That does look like a good board. How does the wifi work? I don't think Smoothie has any sort of web interface. Pretty sure ethernet has to use telnet. Which doesn't really make it useful at all.

PartTimeRonin

Post by PartTimeRonin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:10 am

lowfat wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:41 pm
PartTimeRonin wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 5:42 am
Cohesion3D ReMix

That does look like a good board. How does the wifi work? I don't think Smoothie has any sort of web interface. Pretty sure ethernet has to use telnet. Which doesn't really make it useful at all.
Smoothie does have web interface but very basic one.(Developer working on better interface but it still far from complete)

http://forum.smoothieware.org/forum/t-1 ... -interface

And here is one for Duet Wifi
http://reprap.org/wiki/Duet_Web_Control

Tomasz Stawarz

Post by Tomasz Stawarz » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:16 pm

Duet net interface looks closer to milion bucks and smoothie rather like ten bucks ;) Now I'm thinking about Azteeg X5 GT (Panucatt - worst support ever), Duet (Wi-Fi or Lan), and Replicape (an a first glance looks awesome, but after watching Tom's review I'm not very enthusiastic).

taconit

Post by taconit » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:23 am

What are your thoughts on the
mks robin

http://www.ebay.de/itm/New-MKS-Robin-ST ... SwyltZUc95

slippyr4

Post by slippyr4 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:08 pm

taconit wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:23 am
What are your thoughts on the
mks robin

http://www.ebay.de/itm/New-MKS-Robin-ST ... SwyltZUc95
Whilst the board appears to be well specced; it runs closed-source firmware. That alone is enough to make me steer well clear - any bugs, issues or new features are down to the whim of MKS as to whether they are implemented.
Self-built Prusa i3 MK2 clone
My things: https://www.thingiverse.com/slippyr4/designs
My Prusa firmware port for ramps & MKS : https://github.com/slippyr4/Prusa-Firmware

Tomasz Stawarz

Post by Tomasz Stawarz » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:34 pm

For me it isn't just that it is closed firmware, but who makes this firmware. Like I would go with Duet board but wouldn't go with any far or middle east device. And it's not that companies/people from that part of the world cannot develop something really good - they surely can! But im not very trust full in long time support for devices form those regions of earth, especially when it comes to software departament. So closed firmware controller board from china is no go for me.

Zaf9670

Post by Zaf9670 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:28 pm

Did you end up going with the Azteeg x5 GT? I recently purchased one and I'm getting everything setup. I somehow blew an amp immediately on powering it up but I didn't have my stepper motors or other devices wired. Just my stepper drivers installed (and they were really hot to the touch).

I'm hoping I don't create a small fire or ruin my board. :lol: