Issues with TMC21030 on the GT2560

Electronics, Components etc
alex 3d

Issues with TMC21030 on the GT2560

Post by alex 3d » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:53 pm

Hi,

I was following Tom's video and trying to install my tmc2130 boards (watterott) on a GT2560 "motherboard" when I noticed two issues:

1. the carriages move in reversed directions (on all axes I mounted them)

2. there are not enough pins (AUX3) on the GT2560 to connect SDI

Does anyone know how to fix any of these issues?

chumm

Re: Issues with TMC21030 on the GT2560

Post by chumm » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:32 am

You can fix the reversed directions in firmware, just change these settings to be the opposite of what they are:

Code: Select all

// Invert the stepper direction. Change (or reverse the motor connector) if an axis goes the wrong way.
#define INVERT_X_DIR true
#define INVERT_Y_DIR false
#define INVERT_Z_DIR true

// For direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false.
#define INVERT_E0_DIR false
#define INVERT_E1_DIR false
#define INVERT_E2_DIR false
#define INVERT_E3_DIR false
#define INVERT_E4_DIR false
Do you have an LCD and SD card reader attached to the GT2560? If not, you should be able to follow the standard wiring instructions as it should have the same number of pins (10 in AUX2 and 10 in AUX3) as a standard RAMPS board. Refer to Tom's wiring diagrams in the middle of this guide:
https://toms3d.org/2017/12/09/tmc2130-guide/
Note that the SD0, SCk, and SD1 pins from all of the drivers are run in parallel, so you connect all of the SD0 pins on the drivers to a single AUX pin, and do the same for the other two. Here's a fairly clean color-coded image of a way to do that:

If you do have an LCD, you can still wire the parallel stuff the same in-line with the LCD, but you'll need to find new pins for the CS wires, as detailed here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/com ... d_display/
Most boards will use some other AUX or Servo pins, but it seems the GT2560 doesn't really have any. Per this post it seems like you can use the endstop max pins for a servo (the black and white wires in the pic):
https://www.geeetech.com/blog/2016/09/h ... h-prusa-i3
You would need to find out what Arduino pin numbers they are and make the adjustments to pins.h as noted in that reddit post.

I don't have these drivers and haven't done this so if anyone sees something wrong please correct :D

alex 3d

Post by alex 3d » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:16 pm

Wow, thanks :)

I'll start implementing it as soon as I can. Will post the result as I get them

Thanks again :)

alex 3d

Post by alex 3d » Sun May 06, 2018 10:45 pm

OK, the axis inversion worked great. Thanks for that.

TMC2130 on the GT2560 not so great. Here's what I did in the board config file (I have RevA+):

#if ENABLED(HAVE_TMC2130)
  // define subscriber select pins
  #define X_CS_PIN  X_MAX_PIN

// define SPI communication pins
  #define TMC_USE_SW_SPI
  #define TMC_SW_SCK 52
  #define TMC_SW_MOSI 51
  #define TMC_SW_MISO 50

#endif
As stated here I'm testing just the x-axis, binding the subscriber select to X_MAX_PIN. I'm connecting the SPI pins to the SPI pins of the SD-card connector as described here: https://www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopi ... 8&start=10

Not sure if this is the way how you configure the SPI pins though

Still no joy. Any Ideas?

alex 3d

Post by alex 3d » Sun May 06, 2018 10:52 pm

To be more specific, the motor does not react, I get a status 0xFFFFFFFF when using the TMC debug command (M122):

Driver registers:
	X = 0xFF:FF:FF:FF
If additionally, I've activated the MONITOR_DRIVER_STATUS flag, then Marlin reports critical temperature, short to ground for both coils and freezes the printer on start. Obviously these are phony errors, but it still shows that SPI is not working properly.

p.s. and yes, I've removed the solder bridge, disabling SPI on the back of the board